Looking for an easy homemade queso dip recipe? This queso cheese dip is just the ticket! For a vegetarian queso cheese dip recipe, just omit the sausage. This recipe is perfect for any occasion, I mean, who doesn’t love a sausage queso dip with real cheese?
Football playoffs and game days call for lots of queso cheese dip with some of our other favorite appies like Mini Pigs In a Blanket (Crescent Dogs), Homemade Jalapeno Poppers and Hot Artichoke Dip. (Um, yes please!!)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Homemade Queso Dip recipe to your Appetizer Board!
What is Queso Dip?
Rotel queso dip is a super popular recipe and is a cinch to use in this recipe! Diced tomatoes, chopped green chiles, and spices are combined into one can so all you have to do is open and add to the pan! For this queso dip with cream cheese, it’s advisable to let the cream cheese come to room temperature before adding it to the pan. This makes it easier to fully mix in. Just remember, this is a totally ‘fresco’ recipe which means there’s no hard fast ingredients here, you can mix and match as you please!
Queso Dip Ingredients
Cheese! All the cheese! For a white queso dip or blanco queso dip, use mozzarella or white cheddar. And the meat component is totally interchangeable! A queso dip with meat is a little heartier and really lends itself to heavier dippers, like crostini crackers or chunks of bread!
Queso Dip With Hamburger and Velveeta Cheese
Feel free to switch out the sausage for hamburger and the cheddar cheese for Velveeta. Find an ingredient combo that is all your own just like a restaurant does! Even a Chorizo queso dip recipe sounds totally delish! Why not add a little chopped spinach for some color? Or better yet, add a couple of spoonfuls to homemade chili or some pickled jalapenos for a little extra zing!
Queso dip without Velveeta is just as easy since you can use prepackaged shredded cheddar in just the size you need. Just beware: this homemade queso dip will disappear fast! This queso cheese dip recipe is super versatile. You can make it with our without meat or beans or make it as mild or spicy as you like!
How to Make Queso Dip with Velveeta
How easy is THIS? Simply replace the shredded cheddar and cream cheese with equal amounts of cubed Velveeta cheese. Stir continually until the cheese is smooth and creamy! Done deal!
How to Make Queso Dip
- Brown sausage in a saute pan, drain oil, then add the garlic. Cook until the garlic is soft and fragrant.
- Add flour and spices and keep stirring until the flour has coated the meat and everything is uniformly mixed.
- Slowly add the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Garnish with jalapenos and serve immediately. Either hot or cold!
How to Thin Queso Dip
The best way to thin queso dip is to whisk in a little whole milk or heavy whipping cream. Water will dull the flavors, but milk with thin out the mixture as well as keep those flavors fresh!
How Long is Queso Dip Good For?
Queso dip will last for about a week in the refrigerator if it is kept covered. Simply rewarm in the microwave or on the stove top with a bit of whole milk or cream to thin it out a bit.
What Goes With Queso Dip?
You mean, what DOESN’T go with this easy queso dip? Here is a list of my faves:
- Crackers, crostini, bread or breadsticks
- Corn chips or tortilla chips
- Easy homemade wonton crisps
- Veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini coins, carrot sticks, whole mushrooms
- Add to a breakfast casserole, a homemade pot of chili or spaghetti sauce
- Add to tacos, tostadas, or burritos
- Use as a spread for hamburgers or scoop into a hot dog
- Include with your favorite pasta dish
Seriously, homemade queso dip just makes my day!!!
Homemade Queso Dip
- ½ pound sausage
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- 1 ½ cups half and half cream
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 10 ounces rotel tomatoes one can
- 4 ounces jalapeno pepper 1 can, divided, diced
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown sausage. Drain oil. Adjust to medium low heat and add garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Sprinkle flour and curry powder on top and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Add half and half, stir and heat until bubbling and cook for 3 minutes. Add hot sauce, rotel, half of the jalapenos, and cream cheese. Heat until bubbling and remove from the heat.
- Add cheddar cheese and stir until combined.
- Garnish with remaining jalapenos, or serve them on the side. Can be served warm or cooled.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
PIN this Homemade Queso Dip Recipe!
Recipe slightly adapted from Spend With Pennies