Homemade jalapeno poppers are super fun to make and to eat! This is the time of year for all kinds of gatherings! Whether it’s a neighborhood soccer league game, friends over to watch the big football game, or a fun family movie night, oven baked breaded jalapeno poppers are just one of the many ways to make these.
Easy stuffed jalapeno poppers are just the perfect grab-and-go snack for any kind of gathering! Once you reach your destination, simply pop them in the oven and they are ready to enjoy! This is the best recipe if you are hosting or the guest at a Mexican food-themed party! Add other appies like Stuffed Mini Peppers, Hot Artichoke Dip, Homemade Queso Dip and a charcuterie board, or a main themed dish such as Mexican Lasagna with some Mini Jalapeno Popper Corn Muffins.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Homemade Jalapeno Poppers recipe to your Appetizer Board!
Are Jalapeno Poppers Hot?
We’ve served these homemade jalapenos poppers at our annual Christmas Eve party for the past 15 years and it livens up the party when they come out on a tray. Sometimes you get a little spicier jalapeno and need some cold libations (Strawberry Margaritas anyone?) to cool off your mouth. “Life is like a box of chocolates – you never know what you’re gonna get,” says Forrest Gump.
The process of removing the seeds and adding cream cheese definitely makes the possibly spicy jalapeno poppers a little less spicy!
How to Make Jalapeno Poppers
This cream cheese jalapeno popper recipe starts with fully intact, freshly washed and dried jalapenos peppers. Make sure there is no bruising near the top of the stem and that the flesh is firm. It’s also a good idea to wear a pair of gloves when you are handling any kind of (spicy) pepper so that the oils don’t irritate your skin. There is nothing worse than rubbing your face, eyes, or nose after handling hot peppers! That’s a lesson no one forgets!
How Long to Bake Jalapeno Poppers
Baked Jalapeno Poppers are a lot easier to bake instead of deep-frying them, and they’re just a little bit healthier to eat, too! Don’t overcrowd the pan and bake them, uncovered. The cooking time for poppers is about 20 minutes. Be careful not to overcook them so they don’t burst. The coating should be lightly browned.
Making Jalapeno Poppers
This stuffed jalapeno popper filling recipe will be your go-to for all things popper-style! Feel free to add fun mix-ins to the cream cheese recipe as long as it is chopped fine. Chopped black olives are fun and colorful, and bacon bits add a whole new dimension of flavor! Making jalapeno poppers is a real kitchen-crowd event!
This is how to make jalapeno poppers:
- Preheat oven and grease a pan or line with parchment paper.
- Saute onion and garlic in a saute pan and set aside.
- In a small bowl, fold in the onion/garlic mixture, the cream cheese, Parmesan, and pepper with a spatula.
- Slice jalapenos in half (don’t forget those gloves!) and remove the membrane and seeds.
- Scoop equal portions of cream cheese filling into each half of the popper.
- Whisk egg until it is frothy and put bread crumbs into a separate bowl.
- Carefully dip each filled half of a jalapeno popper in the egg mixture and then coat in breadcrumbs. Press breadcrumbs onto the outside if necessary.
- Arrange your easy cream cheese jalapeno poppers cheese side up in the prepared casserole dish and bake about 20 minutes.
Serve warm with salsa and sour cream!
Freezing Homemade Jalapeno Poppers
Easy peasy to freez-y! Freeze them after they are filled and coated on a cookie sheet! They can go straight from the freezer to the oven, no need to thaw!
Homemade Jalapeno Poppers
Jalapeno Popper Filling
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons onion finely minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 Tablespoons freshly shredded Parmesan cheese grated
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or to taste
Jalapeno Popper Filling
- Heat oil in a sjukket and add onion and garlic. Cook until translucent and soft, without browning.
- In a small bowl, combine warm onion mixture, cream cheese, parmesan, and pepper using a spatula.
Prepare Jalapeno Poppers
- Wearing rubber gloves, wash jalapeno peppers and cut in half lengthwise. Remove (or cut) stem, and all seeds and membranes by scraping the inside of the jalapeno with a spoon.
- Fill jalapeno halves with popper filling level with the top of the pepper.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Whisk egg in a small bowl. Add breadcrumbs to a separate bowl.
- Dip filled jalapeno halves in beaten egg, then breadcrumbs, pressing breadcrumbs to coat jalapeno.
- Place on baking tray cheese side up. Spray peppers lightly with cooking spray. Bake 20 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy. Allow to cool slightly and serve warm with salsa and sour cream. *Caution, poppers are very hot right out of the oven.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
PIN this Homemade Jalapeno Poppers recipe!
Slightly adapted from The Rest of the Best and More