This easy recipe for Beef Round Roast comes out tender and succulent every time!
Knowing how to cook the variety of beef round roasts can be intimidating. But with the right recipe and method, it’s not quite so daunting. Using a handful of savory seasonings, and cooked at a low temperature, this humble cut of beef can be tender and delicious. This beef eye of round roast makes a hearty main dish that’s perfect served for a special occasion or even a weeknight dinner. And this simple recipe is sure to become a family (and home chef’s) favorite so try it for dinner tonight and watch it disappear from the platter.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Beef Round Roast recipe to your ENTRÉES Board!
Best Recipe for Beef Round Roast
- This foolproof method for a juicy roast needs some seasonings and a cast iron pan, or oven-proof Dutch oven. Set it and forget it while preparing the rest of the meal! Make the oven do double duty and pan roast some hearty Oven Roasted Potatoes, or a low-carb side like these Oven Roasted Radishes or Cauliflower. Then add a simple Red Leaf Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette with some slices of easy No Knead Bread, and dinner is served!
- A beef round roast is fairly inexpensive and easy to cook in a variety of ways. So it’s an excellent choice for a crowd or to meal prep for the week! No matter if it’s grilled, smoked, oven roasted, slow cooked in a Crockpot, or pressure cooked in an Instant Pot, this versatile roast is delicious!
- Multi-purpose beef rounds are often cut into steaks. They are sometimes called “London Broil” or Sirloin steaks, but why overpay at a restaurant when they can be made easily at home?
What is Beef Round Roast?
Beef round roast is defined as any cut from the upper hind portion of the back leg, whether it’s on the inside or the outside of the leg. These cuts have many names depending on the precise location of the roast, but top round roast beef, beef eye of round, inside round, or beef bottom round are all terms found on packaging. Beef ‘tips’ are often packaged and sold from the pricier cuts of Sirloin, Angus, or Choice cuts and are a great alternative to cooking a whole cut of beef.
Ingredients and Variations
BEEF ROUND – Beef round and bottom beef rounds are some of the better cuts from the leg/rump area. They have solid flavor enhanced by cooking at low temperatures for a long time. And they are just as tender and delicious as Choice or Angus cuts of beef when cooked properly.
SEASONINGS – Dry rubs range from mild savory to bold and spicy depending on the flavor profile and how the beef will be used. Start with a multipurpose Italian Dressing Mix and add the remaining recipe ingredients. Or explore with a Beef Brisket Rub or this bold Jerk Seasoning to create a unique signature dish!
How to Make Beef Round Roast
This recipe has just 2 basic steps:
- Generously oil and season roast per recipe instructions below.
- Bake as directed.
ROAST TIME: Roast at approximately 1-2 hours per pound, or until a meat thermometer reaches 135°F for rare, 140°F for medium rare or 160°F for medium. Keep in mind that if the roast is more round than long, the roasting time will increase. This particular roast, because it is quite thin, was roasted at 1 hour per pound.
PRO TIP: Place beef roast on a raft of sliced white or yellow onions before baking. This keeps the meat out of the fat drippings and adds flavor. Puree the fat-soaked onions in a hand blender and add to gravy, or freeze them in ice cube trays for soups, stews, mashed potatoes, or stir-fries!
In the Instant Pot
- Oil and season the roast, then set the instant pot to sauté and brown the meat on all sides.
- Add 1 cup of beef broth (or water) to deglaze the brown bits from the bottom of pot.
- Place roast on a trivet, or onion raft, and seal lid.
- Cook on pressure cooker setting for 60 minutes, and allow the steam to naturally release.
Tips & Tricks
- Always check the internal temperature with a meat thermometer, and remove the roast from the oven once it reaches 135°F. It will continue to cook (carryover cooking) as it rests. And no one likes beef that’s been cooked too long!
- Allow the roast to rest for a minimum of 10 minutes before slicing. This helps to seal the outside surface so the juices stay in the meat.
- Store whole or leftover beef round roast in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 5 days or freeze up to 4 months.
Other Delicious Roasted Mains
- Oven Roasted Turkey – for all occasions.
- Baked Honey Glazed Ham – so flavorful.
- Best Pot Roast – a complete meal.
- Bone In Pork Loin Roast – so simple, but so fantastic.
Beef Round Roast
- 2-4 pound roast
- 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450˚F.
- Cover roast in olive oil.
- In a small bowl, mix together Italian seasoning, garlic powder, parsley, salt, and pepper. Rub on all sides of the roast.
- Add to the bottom of a skillet or small dutch oven. Place pan in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Turn oven down to 150-170˚F and bake until thermometer reads 135˚F.
- Remove from the oven and rest for at least 15 minutes. Meanwhile, make gravy if desired.
- Nutrition is calculated using a 3 pound roast.
- Cook time is calculated at 1-2 hours per pound at 170˚F, using a 3 pound roast.
- Use a meat thermometer to monitor the internal temperature of the roast. Remove the roast once it reaches 135°F. The temperature will rise upon resting.
- While the roast rests, the juices pull back inside the meat. So allow a minimum 10 minute rest time before slicing.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days or freeze up to 4 months.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!