This Instant Pot rhubarb applesauce recipe takes all the best parts of Fall produce and takes advantage of them! This amazingly original recipe comes together with a few easy ingredients and it can be made as smooth or as chunky as you like!
Even better, this mix makes a great applesauce rhubarb cake or Rhubarb Applesauce Muffins! Add a little fresh fruit for a strawberry rhubarb applesauce, perfect for babies, toddlers, and kids of all ages!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Instant Pot Rhubarb Applesauce recipe to your Snacks Board!
How Do I Make Rhubarb Applesauce?
Steps to make rhubarb applesauce:
- Core and cut the apples. I leave the skins on for a more rustic look. I use an apple corer and slicing tool, which makes the job super quick and easy.
- Add the sliced rhubarb, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and water to the Instant Pot.
- Set on high for 10 minutes and allow a natural release.
- Mash with a potato masher or immersion blender to achieve the consistency you like.
Add less sugar and more strawberries for Instant Pot Strawberry Rhubarb Applesauce – the great triple play of applesauces!
How Long Does Rhubarb Applesauce Last?
Instant Pot rhubarb applesauce can last about 10 days in the fridge if it is covered tightly. It might get a little runny, so spoon off any liquid that might collect on the surface and give it a good stir. Add a smidge of cinnamon or ginger to brighten up the flavor and it will be like new again!
What Can I Use Rhubarb Applesauce For?
Why not make a loaf of applesauce rhubarb bread, a batch of rhubarb applesauce muffins, or freeze into pops for the kids? A rhubarb like applesauce can even be used as a sauce for pork loin or pork chops, feel free to spoon it over pork before roasting it in the oven.
Can You Freeze Rhubarb Applesauce?
Just like regular applesauce, rhubarb applesauce can be frozen easily! Pour it into Stasher bags, zip top bags, or in a freezer safe container and label it with the date. It’s easily thawed in the microwave or on the counter in about an hour.
The kids think that resuable pouches for applesauce are pretty darn cool. So much cheaper than buying the prepackaged ones!
If you are feeding a baby, add the rhubarb applesauce to ice cube trays and freeze them into cubes, then put them into labeled Stasher bags or zip top bags. A couple of cubes heated in the microwave are just the right size for a special healthy dessert treat for your baby!
Instant Pot Rhubarb Applesauce
- 4 cups rhubarb about 1 pound, sliced
- 8 cups apples 2 ¾ pounds, peeled
- ½-1 cup sugar can use maple syrup or honey to taste
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ginger optional
- ¼ cup water or orange juice
- 4-6 strawberries for color, optional
- Core and cut apples.
- Add rhubarb, apples, sugar, cinnamon, ginger if using, and water to Instant Pot.
- Using Manual setting, set instant pot to 10 minutes on high pressure. Allow natural release.
- Once complete, mash with a potato masher or use an immersion blender or other blender until reaches desired consistency.
For stovetop, cook for 30-40 minutes until fruit is tender.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
Pin this Instant Pot Rhubarb Applesauce recipe!