The bright flavor of homemade blue cheese dressing makes for the best dip or dressing that goes with just about anything!
This cold and creamy dressing has mellow undertones, which allow it to work as a condiment or spread for sandwiches and wraps. Dip buffalo chicken wings in it, drizzle it onto a classic wedge salad or use it as a sauce for meatballs. There are as many ways to use it as there are methods that the chef can dream up. Since it’s made with buttermilk, sour cream, and mayonnaise, it’s got to be the best blue cheese dressing out there, one that will end up getting made over and over again.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
The Best Blue Cheese Dressing!
- Get crumbled blue cheese when it’s on sale and make extra to take to parties, potlucks, and picnics!
- Make blue cheese dressing when company is coming. It is so good for chicken wings, salads, veggie platters, and as a burger spread!
- For low-carb and keto lovers, homemade blue cheese dressing is so versatile and can be used in so many ways! It’s also lower in calories and a cleaner, gluten-free option than store brands!
What’s in Blue Cheese Dressing?
CHEESE: Blue cheese crumbles are best, but use gorgonzola, feta, or even aged white cheddar in a pinch. They will still blend nicely and are creamy or chunky if you like!
DAIRY BASE: Sour cream and buttermilk are important for the tangy flavor and creamy base, but Greek yogurt and heavy whipping cream will also work.
Make homemade buttermilk by mixing 1 cup of milk with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar. Easy peasy!
How to Make Blue Cheese Dressing
- Blend the first 5 ingredients until smooth.
- Add blue cheese and buttermilk as needed (as per the recipe below).
- Stir in the remaining blue cheese crumbles for a chunky dressing or blend for a smoother finish.
Season and chill before serving.
How to Use Blue Cheese Dressing
Storing Blue Cheese Dressing
- FRIDGE: Keep blue cheese dressing in a cruet or mason jar for about a week in the refrigerator.
- FREEZER: It’s not advised to freeze it because of the high dairy content that will split or break during the thawing process.
But this recipe is so easy to make, simply whisk up another batch!
More Dressing Recipes
- Vinaigrette Caesar Salad Dressing Recipe– Bright flavors
- Greek Salad Dressing – Fresh and tangy
- Creamy Dill Dressing – So creamy
- Homemade Italian Dressing Recipe – Better than Olive Gardens dressing
Blue Cheese Dressing
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup buttermilk plus additional to thin if desired
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- ⅓ cup blue cheese crumbled, divided (approximately 1.75 ounces)
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl or measuring cup, mix together mayonnaise, sour cream, buttermilk, vinegar, and lemon juice with an immersion blender (or whisk).
- Add about half of the blue cheese, and mix until it reaches desired consistency. Add additional buttermilk to thin as needed. Stir in remaining blue cheese.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Chill and serve.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.