Try this easy Homemade Ranch Dressing recipe and never want to buy store-bought again!
This rich and creamy blend serves as a multi-purpose dip and dressing that is packed with flavor! It all begins with a mixture of buttermilk, sour cream, and mayonnaise. This creamy base is perked up with a blend of spices and herbs including garlic and onion powder, chives, dill, and parsley. Simply stir everything together, chill and serve! It really is the best ranch dressing recipe for summer salads, pasta salads, or to use as a dip for appetizers. And since it’s so easy to make, the chef will want to make it again and again!
Delicious Ranch Dressing!
- Perfect used to dress up a tossed or wedge salad, or to dip veggies, fries, and onion rings into. Delish served with wings or as a dip for breadsticks and pizza!
- This is the best ranch dressing recipe! No need to wait for a store bought dry mix to go on sale when this recipe is so easy to make!
- Be sure to double the batch because it will disappear quickly!
What’s in Ranch Dressing?
THE CREAMY BASE: Full-fat buttermilk, mayonnaise, and sour cream provide the richest flavor. Try subbing in Greek yogurt in place of sour cream for a brighter, more tangy flavor. No buttermilk? No problem! Simply mix one cup of milk together with 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice and it’s ready to use!
SEASONINGS: Garlic and onion powder bring balance to the creamy and rich dressing base. Make it more savory and mix in some Italian seasoning, or make a taco ranch dip with this taco blend.
HERBS: Fresh herbs like parsley, dill and chives, are always best in this creamy buttermilk ranch dressing recipe. But if fresh is not available, dried will work too! Use the following rule of thumb, 1 unit dried equals 3 units fresh.
ADD-INS: Toss in a few bacon bits, parmesan cheese, crumbled feta, fresh cracked black pepper. Or add some finely chopped jalapenos for a spicy dip or dressing!
How to Make Ranch Dressing
Have this creamy and flavorful dressing ready in no time!
- Blend everything together ,except the fresh herbs (as per the recipe below).
- Mix in herbs and chill before serving.
How to Use Ranch Dressing
What doesn’t go with ranch dressing? Pour it over crispy salads, or a hearty chicken ranch salad, serve with buffalo wings, pizza pockets, appetizers like bacon wrapped water chestnuts, smoked meatballs or pasta chips. Use instead of sour cream on baked potatoes or as a dip for roasted broccoli. Instead of serving horseradish with a pot roast or prime rib, try it with buttermilk ranch dressing instead!
Storing Ranch Dressing
Keep homemade ranch dressing in a cruet or mason jar with a tight-fitting lid in the refrigerator and it’s best used within 3 days. Shake or stir before serving.
Other Delicious Dressings
- Blue Cheese Dressing – a flavorful blend
- Greek Salad Dressing – so easy to make
- Creamy Dill Dressing – ready in just 15 minutes!
- Homemade Italian Dressing Recipe – zesty and delicious
Homemade Ranch Dressing
- ½ cup buttermilk plus additional to thin if desired
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 1-2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or to taste
- 1 ½ teaspoons chopped fresh chives or ½ teaspoon dried
- 1 ½ teaspoons chopped fresh dill or ½ teaspoon dried
- 1 ½ teaspoons chopped fresh parsley or ½ teaspoon dried
- In a medium bowl or measuring cup, mix buttermilk, mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper together using a whisk (or hand blender).
- Stir in chives, dill, and parsley. Thin with a bit more buttermilk if needed and add additional salt and pepper to taste. Chill and serve.
- Makes about 20 Tablespoons
- Refrigerate dressing in a cruet or mason jar with a tight-fitting lid.
- Best used within about 3 days.
- Shake or stir before serving.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!