Air Fryer Pasta Chips are a fun and crunchy alternative to potato chips!
Make your own version of the fried Olive Garden favorite appetizer using the air fryer. In just a few minutes a tasty and unusual snack can be ready for dipping and dunking. These little bite-sized snacks are so good with all kinds of dips and dressings or sauces! And they’re a huge visual upgrade from regular chips on a picnic or potluck table. So for something different, why not try serving a bowl of crispy crunchy pasta chips?
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Air Fryer Pasta Chips recipe to your APPETIZER Board!
What are Pasta Chips?
- Everyone loves this recipe for homemade pasta chips because any shape of pasta can be used. Make homemade them as a topping for soups and salads, too!
- Make a batch or two in minutes so they’re ready for parties, movie nights, or just a quick snack!
- Experiment with seasonings, sauces and dips! Try it with pesto!
- Use fiber-based pastas or gluten-free pasta for a kick of nutrition. Purchase vegetable-based pastas made from spinach or from legumes like red beans, black beans, or green peas. So many options!
Easy Ingredients & Variations
PASTA: This recipe uses rigatoni like bowtie, penne, and broken pieces of lasagna noodles that are perfect for dipping and scooping!
OILS: Olive oil has a mild, savory flavor but melted bacon grease, sesame oil or avocado oil can be used for flavor along with the seasonings.
How to Make Pasta Chips
Fun & easy to make, these unique air fried chips are ready in just a few simple steps:
- Cook pasta al dente. Drain & return to the pot. Stir in remaining ingredients, except parsley.
- Air fry (per recipe below). Cool before serving.
- Top with Parmesan cheese and parsley. Eat them alone or with a dip or sauce.
Dip for Air Fryer Pasta Chips
Make Greek Yogurt Dip for a quick and easy condiment. Simply switch the cilantro for parsley or basil to give it an Italian flair, or if no fresh herbs are on hand, skip them altogether. Or use this simple Dillionaire Veggie Dip that everyone loves, or this spicy southwestern Smoked Tomato Guacamole.
Tips for Pasta Chips
- For best results, don’t boil pasta too long otherwise the chips will break apart while they are being seasoned and air fried.
- Avoid rinsing them before putting them back into the pot because the residual starch helps the oil and seasonings adhere.
- Pasta chips will crisp up as they cool, but for extra crispy chips, pop them back into the air fryer a few minutes more.
- Store left overs in a zippered bag at room temperature.
Other Easy Appetizers and Snacks To Try!
- Cowboy Caviar – so many flavors!
- Ricotta Toast – quick and easy.
- Homemade Granola Bars with Seeds – delicious snack.
- Simple Sourdough Crackers – crispy and tasty.
- Chicken Wonton Cups – hearty and filling!
Air Fryer Pasta Chips
- 8 ounces rigatoni pasta or bow tie or penne (I used tortiglioni)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese plus extra for garnish if desired
- 1 teaspoon Italian dressing mix or your favorite seasoning mix (or ½ teaspoon oregano and ½ teaspoon garlic powder)
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- parsley finely chopped, to garnish, optional
- Cook pasta to al dente according to package directions. Do not overcook. Drain and return to the pot to remove moisture.
- About 2 minutes before pasta is ready, preheat air fryer to 400°F.
- Add olive oil, parmesan, and seasoning to the pot of pasta, toss to coat.
- Add pasta to air fryer basket* and cook for 10-12 minutes**, tossing the basket every 3-4 minutes until they are cooked to desired doneness.
- Cool for about 3-4 minutes before serving. Garnish with parsley and parmesan if desired. Serve with dip, salsa, or hummus.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.