Sourdough discard makes the most amazing homemade Sourdough Crackers!
Try this easy recipe for baked sourdough crackers to enjoy with an assortment of cheeses or your favorite dips, like hot artichoke dip, velveeta rotel dip, hummus or even a simple veggie dip. It’s even great as a topping for soup or used as the base for egg salad!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Simple Sourdough Crackers recipe to your SNACKS Board!
Why We Love These Crackers
- Similar to the Sourdough Crisps found at Costco and Whole Foods, you can make these copycat crackers for a fraction of the cost!
- Twice-baked sourdough crackers are a healthy, organic alternative to store-bought crackers because they have fewer ingredients and preservatives, as well as less oil and calories.
- This basic cracker recipe is so versatile! Choose the seasoning that suits the occasion! Parties, picnics, or potlucks, why buy crackers when making them is so easy!
- Sourdough starter is a healthier and more nutritious alternative to wheat flour-based bread in that it’s gluten-free. It also has prebiotics which contributes to positive gut bacteria.
- Plus, the salt content can be increased or decreased depending on what seasoning mix is used. Any type of sourdough discard can be used, too!
Ingredients & Variations
SOURDOUGH STARTER – Sourdough discard is most vibrant, alive, and has the highest level of nutrition when it’s at room temperature and within 1 to 2 days.
OIL – For a flakier result, use butter in place of olive oil. Add a tablespoon or two of rye flour for a different flavor profile!
SEASONING – Any kind of seasonings can be used mixed into or sprinkled on top of the crackers. Try a blend of dried rosemary and Himalayan sea salt, powdered Ranch, or Italian dressing. Sprinkle a taco seasoning mix for a spicy cracker! Serve with Homemade Queso Dip or a yummy Hot Spinach Dip.
How to Make Sourdough Crackers
It’s super easy and quick to make these homemade crackers.
- Mix sourdough discard, oil (or butter, melted), and salt. Or, mix in seasonings (optional).
- Pour onto the baking sheet. Sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning or the seasoning of choice.
- Bake crackers (per recipe below), remove from the oven, & use a pizza cutter to score the crackers in squares or triangles.
- Bake until crackers are golden brown. Cool, then break into individual pieces.
Tips to Remember
- For best results, keep the parchment paper flat so the crackers bake flat. Cut the parchment paper to fit the baking sheet, if necessary.
- Keep the batter evenly spread so the crackers cook evenly. If they are still spongy in the middle, bake a little longer.
- Check sourdough discard crackers every couple of minutes on the second level of baking, remove the outer crackers if they are baked before the ones in the center.
Keep sourdough discard crackers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 7 days, but they’ll be long gone by then, they are that good!
Other Easy Appetizer or Snack Recipes To Try!
- Wonton Crisp – a perfect dipper!
- Oven Baked Fries – as a side or as an appetizer
- Mini Pigs In a Blanket – everyone’s favorite.
- Baked Brie With Berries – perfect to dip Sourdough Crackers in!
- Bacon Crack – a salty sweet snack.
Simple Sourdough Crackers
- 1 cup sourdough starter 227 grams
- 2-3 Tablespoons olive oil 36 grams, or melted butter
- ½ teaspoon salt 2 grams
- 1-2 Tablespoons everything bagel seasoning or Italian dressing mix, Italian seasoning, everyday seasoning, or other seasoning of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350˚F*. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix together sourdough discard, oil, and salt.
- Spread evenly and thinly on prepared baking tray using an offset spatula or spatula (about 10 inches by 15 inches). Sprinkle with seasoning.
- Bake 10 minutes. Remove from the oven. Using a pizza cutter (or knife), score crackers into desired size.
- Bake additional 15-30 mins, until golden brown. Cool.
- Crackers will crisp up as they cool. For crispier crackers, pop back in hot oven for 2 minutes and cool again.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.