Traditional egg salad has a whole new look, with this delicious smoked egg salad recipe!
That Traeger grill is more than a meat smoker, it can also be used to smoke hard-boiled eggs! Who knew? Smoked hard-boiled eggs are the best for egg salad but also just for snacking.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Smoked Egg Salad Recipe to your Salad Board!
You will be pleasantly surprised at the delicately mild smoky flavor, it’s downright elegant! Use as a filling for lettuce wraps or spoon some onto whole wheat bread for a portable lunch, perfect for school or work!
Why We Love Smoked Egg Salad
What’s not to love? Egg salad has always had an honored place in home recipe boxes for generations, and there are hundreds of ways to prepare it too! The smoked eggs add such a simple and unique flavor without a lot of extra effort.
This recipe is not only unique with the ingredients, but it’s easy to prepare as well! Before we get started, check out this primer on how to cook a perfect boiled egg.
How Can You Tell if Eggs Are Fresh?
Fresh eggs produce the best results in any recipe, but it’s even more important for smoked egg salad. Here’s how we check for freshness:
- Place one egg in a bowl full of water. If the egg sinks to the bottom and remains upright or turns on its side, it is still fresh.
- If it floats, toss it! Also, just because one egg in the carton is bad, doesn’t mean they all might be!
Ingredients and Variations
EGGS Eggs are the showstopper here so use fresh, clean eggs!
FILLING This recipe uses sour cream instead of mayonnaise for a creamy consistency and a bright flavor!
VEGGIES/HERBS We combine celery, chives, and dill with just a touch of mustard powder for big taste!
EXTRAS Feel free to add some Dijon or stone-ground mustard, a bit of sweet pickle relish, and some finely diced red onions to create your own signature recipe! Mix and match the herbs and seasonings too!
How to Make Smoked Egg Salad
A vegetable chopper is a real time-saver for the prep here, but if you don’t have one (*get one!!*), a sharp utility knife will do for the chopping and dicing!
- Prepare eggs in a pot or egg boiler, then smoke eggs.
- Chill, then cut them lengthwise. Scoop out the yolks and combine them with the sour cream and the mustard powder.
- Add diced egg whites to the creamy mixture and then fold in the diced celery, chives, and dill. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
How to Serve Smoked Egg Salad
- We love English muffins and often serve egg salad on a toasted muffin.
- For a next-level gourmet sandwich, we like smoked egg salad in the middle of a croissant with some crisp green lettuce and a slice of avocado.
- Or try it served atop a smoked and chilled salmon filet, and add a few toasted garlic crostini toasts for scooping!
- For a low carb option, wrap smoked egg salad in a leaf of lettuce or endive.
- Serve it with a hearty kale salad or on a simple romaine lettuce salad.
- Don’t forget to garnish with a sprinkle of paprika!
How to Store Smoked Egg Salad
Like any egg salad, it tastes best when it’s icy cold and fresh. Keep smoked egg salad in an airtight container and it will last in the fridge up to 3 days.
If it gets a little watery, just drain, then add a little extra sour cream or mayo, salt, and pepper (or add new smoked eggs to it) and serve! It will taste as good as new.
Smoked Egg Salad
- 5 smoked eggs hard boiled and smoked
- ½ cup mayonnaise or sour cream
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1 Tablespoon chives finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery finely diced
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cut smoked eggs in half. Remove yolks and mix well with sour cream and mustard powder.
- Using vegetable chopper, dice egg whites and add to the creamy yolk mixture.
- Stir in chives and celery and mix well.
- Serve on bread or as a filling for lettuce wraps. Garnish with chives.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
PIN this Smoked Egg Salad Recipe!
Adapted from Spend With Pennies