This is the last Homemade Taco Seasoning recipe any home cook will ever need!
Who knew that an average assortment of pantry seasonings could become a versatile spice blend used in so many different ways? This easy taco seasoning mix can up-level everything from ground meats to dips and dressings, chicken, beef, soup, stews, and casseroles! And it’s gluten-free, with no commercial additives, binders, or MSG! So for the best taco seasoning, look no further than the pantry and this simple recipe. Every kitchen needs this spicy addition.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Homemade Taco Seasoning recipe to your SPICES & SEASONINGS Board!
Savory Taco Seasoning
- McCormick, Lawry’s, and Old El Paso packets are easy to get but they don’t make an original, homemade blend for memorable chili, sloppy joes, or taco recipes like this recipe does.
- Make DIY taco seasoning in double or triple batches because it can be used for anything. And it brings so much flavor to any recipe, they’ll all become family favorites in no time.
- Vegetarians love this blend because it adds incredible flavor to mixed veggies such as bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms. Plus it can be mixed into cream cheese or sour cream for a super delish dip!
What’s in Taco Seasoning?
Just a few basic ingredients are all it takes to make a uniquely original DIY taco seasoning:
SPICY SEASONINGS: Chili powder, paprika, and a dash of red pepper flakes and cayenne makes it a unique signature spice blend.
SAVORY SEASONINGS: Adding cumin, oregano, salt & pepper, garlic, and onion powder makes for a savory background that is the foundation for this spicy mix!
VARIATION: These are the basics, but feel free to increase or decrease the amounts based on your preferences. Use smoked or sweet paprika, and a favorite kosher sea salt or mineral based salt if desired, such as Himalayan pink or even Celtic salt. Add extra onion powder if desired.
How to Make Taco Seasoning
It’s so simple to mix up homemade seasoning blends like this one!
- Blend all of the ingredients thoroughly with a whisk.
- Store in a container with a tight-fitting lid in the pantry.
PRO TIP: Many store-bought seasoning blends contain small amounts of cornstarch. This helps the mix adhere to meat or veggies, and thickens any liquid that is added (water, sauce, marinade). Add up to 2 or 3 Tablespoons of cornstarch to the finished seasoning mix before storing. Or, only add 2 or 3 teaspoons of corn starch per use of taco seasoning, if desired.
How to Use Taco Seasoning
The sky is the limit with this homemade taco seasoning recipe. Try sprinkling it on Mexican Street Corn (Elote) or add it to this delicious Mexican Lasagna. Use it in place of fajita seasoning for deliciously different Chicken Fajitas. Or add it to a delicious Tater Tot Casserole for a bit of spicy kick! And of course it is perfect on Cowboy Caviar and Grilled Quesadillas.
How to Store Taco Seasoning
Always keep homemade Taco Seasoning in a sealed container in the spice cabinet or pantry with the other seasonings, and it can stay good for up to a year!
Other Easy Seasoning Recipes
- Fajita Seasoning – another easy recipe.
- Best Beef Brisket Rub – also great on chicken and fish.
- Jerk Seasoning – makes a great marinade too.
- Pork Rub Recipe – perfect for grilling!
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons paprika smoked preferred
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½-1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- pinch red pepper flakes optional, for spicier seasoning blend
- pinch cayenne pepper optional, for spicier seasoning blend
- In a 12-16 ounce mason jar or medium bowl, combine all ingredients thoroughly.
- Store in a mason jar with a lid, or any sealed airtight container.
- Use 1-1 ½ Tablespoons for each ½ pound of meat (2-3 Tablespoons per pound)
- Makes about 3 Tablespoons. Each serving is ¾ teaspoon.
- To make a bulk batch (which makes 18 Tablespoons, slightly over 1 cup total, enough for 8-9 pounds of meat).
- 6 Tablespoons chili powder
- 3 Tablespoons paprika
- 3 Tablespoons cumin
- 2 Tablespoons oregano
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon pepper
- ¼-½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional, for spicier seasoning blend
- ¼-½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional, for spicier seasoning blend
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!