Learn how to make Chicken Fajitas easily in the comfort of your own home and in just one skillet!
The incredible aroma and sound of a sizzling platter of Chicken Fajitas is unmistakable! Now it’s super easy to replicate this experience at home with this simple recipe. Season and cook chicken with colorful strips of bell peppers and onions until perfectly tender. This delightfully spicy and flavorful dish is sure to become a new favorite recipe that the whole family will ask for again and again.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Chicken Fajitas recipe to your MAIN DISH Board!
Flavorful Chicken Fajitas
- Chicken fajitas are an easy and fun recipe to prepare for a crowd and there are so many ways to make them!
- Grill the meat and veggies, then serve over a bed of lettuce for a low-carb and low calorie main dish! Perfect for a DIY picnic or potluck.
- Amp up the nutrition and make popular Fiesta Bowls by scooping fajitas over brown rice or black beans!
- The trick to achieving that southwestern flavor is knowing when to add the fajita seasoning to the pot. Or for more intense flavor, marinate the chicken with the fajita seasoning for up to 2 hours in the refrigerator prior to cooking.
- Party perfect chicken fajitas can be kept warm in the slow cooker or Crock Pot. Let everyone build their own delicious Mexican inspired creation!
What’s in Chicken Fajitas?
MEAT – Fajitas can be made with any protein, or even tofu or tempeh. This recipe uses boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but also lends itself to any kind of leftover protein. Got beef, turkey, pork? Simply add leftover cooked protein to the pan after the veggies are almost sautéed through. Shrimp and bay scallops are also great fajita proteins!
VEGETABLES – Bell peppers are a staple ingredient in any fajita recipe! Red, yellow, orange, and green bell peppers are beautifully colored, and these along with sliced onions, give chicken fajitas their iconic look! Mushrooms, zucchini, small cubes of potatoes or sweet potatoes, and even thin-sliced cabbage, all give fajitas a delicious color, texture, and taste! Any veggie goes in this versatile recipe!
TORTILLAS – Traditional street fajitas are made with hand-held-sized corn tortillas, but in restaurants and at home, flour tortillas are larger and sturdier, especially with all the add-ins! Scoop fajita mixture over a bed of lettuce for a healthy fajita taco salad or scoop over cooked macaroni pasta if feeding a crowd. Don’t forget the cilantro and lime wedge garnish!
Our Fave Fajita Toppings
Just like tacos, tostadas, and burritos, a variety of delicious toppings are a must-have! Faves include sour cream, salsa, guacamole, any kind of shredded cheese, sliced black olives, or sliced jalapenos.
How to Make Chicken Fajitas
This easy recipe comes together in no time:
- Cook chicken and remove from pan.
- Sauté vegetables, add fajita seasoning (as per the recipe below).
- Return chicken to pan and heat until ready to serve in warmed tortillas.
- Top as desired.
PRO TIP: It’s easy to make baked fajitas by cooking seasoned chicken strips on a sheet pan and then adding the strips of bell pepper and onion. Or, brown chicken and place in a Crock Pot, then add veggies and fajita seasonings and cook until tender.
Refrigerate any leftover chicken fajitas in a sealed container for about 3-4 days. These leftovers chicken taste even better warmed up the next day! Or chop up leftovers and add them to chicken broth with a can of diced tomatoes for a quick and easy chicken taco soup. Top servings with shredded cheese and salsa for a tasty lunch!
Other Tasty Entrees!
- Mexican Lasagna – quick 10 minute prep.
- Grilled Quesadillas – a fun dinner idea.
- Easy Stuffed Peppers – delicious recipe.
- Instant Pot Stuffed Pepper Soup – 30 minute soup.
- Instant Pot Pesto Chicken and Red Potatoes – easy dinner.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil divided
- 4 chicken breasts cut into strips, about 1 ½ pounds
- ½-1 onion cut top to bottom into thin strips
- 3 bell pepper any colors, cut into strips about ¼ inch wide
- 3 Tablespoons fajita seasoning
- ⅓-½ cup water
- 6 tortilla shells
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
- lime wedges for squeezing
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium high. Brown chicken stirring occasionally. Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until chicken is just cooked through. Set aside.
- Saute onions with remaining olive oil for 2 minutes.
- Add bell peppers, sprinkle with fajita seasoning, and add ⅓ cup water. Toss to combine.
- Add chicken and saute for 2-5 minutes, until vegetables are cooked to your liking. Add remaining water if desired.
- Warm tortillas by placing directly on the stove element (gas or electric) on medium, flipping with tongs a couple of times until warmed through and lightly browned. Or wrap them in a damp paper towel and microwave for 30 seconds
- Serve chicken mixture on warmed tortilla shells and garnish as desired. Wrap and eat!
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.