Last-minute get-togethers call for Easy Homemade Guacamole!
With just a few ingredients and only two steps, fresh and quick guacamole can be ready in mere minutes! Guacamole is not just a delicious dip, but can be used as a dressing or sandwich spread. This easy guacamole recipe will be a go-to all year long. Made with healthy avocados, it’s a delicious keto and low-carb addition to all kinds of recipes! Try it alongside Mexican favorites like tacos or quesadillas, or serve it as a sauce over a quinoa or rice bowl.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Easy Homemade Guacamole recipe to your DIPS & DRESSINGS Board!
We Love this Super Quick and Basic Guacamole Recipe!
- With a few ingredients already on hand, fresh avocados are transformed into a creamy guacamole dip that’s ready for spicy Doritos, Mexican-style tortilla chips, veggies or even Baked Kale Chips!
- Why buy store-bought with additives and preservatives when it’s so easy to make guacamole with this step-by-step traditional method? Chipotle has nothing on this fresh take, why get take out when homemade is so quick and easy?
- Make this quick guacamole recipe and add to tacos, burritos, taquitos, quesadillas, even stir in some sour cream to make it into a spread for sandwiches or a salad dressing!
- Guacamole can be smooth or chunky and made with or without cilantro. The key to an authentic style guacamole is to use fresh avocados and minimal ingredients so the creamy, buttery flavor of the avocados can really stand out.
What to Put in Guacamole
Keeping this guacamole recipe simple means once the basics are perfected, mix-ins make it even more ‘extra!’
AVOCADO – Avocados are usually not quite ripe when purchased. To speed up ripening, place in a brown bag on the counter overnight with a banana inside.
FLAVORINGS – A little onion, jalapeno, garlic, and cilantro are complemented with a splash of lime juice and a dash of salt in this recipe.
MIX-INS – But, here’s only a brief list of the amazing things that can be added to this guacamole dip recipe to take it to the next level! Salsa, taco seasoning, hot sauce, green chilis, black beans, corn, small diced mango or peaches, even pumpkin seeds (pepitas).
How to Make Homemade Guacamole
This quick and easy dip is super healthy and delicious too!
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl, as per recipe below.
- Adjust seasonings with cilantro, lime juice, and salt to taste.
Tips and Tricks
- Use a potato masher to make a chunky or smooth guacamole, depending on preference.
- Keep guacamole chilled and stir frequently if it’s on a buffet or picnic table. A little lime or lemon juice not only brightens the flavors, but helps keep guacamole from turning brown.
- Make a simple and quick guacamole sauce. Whip or puree guacamole in a blender and add some sour cream. Store in a squirt bottle and use it to top Grilled Quesadillas or Black Bean Corn Salad for a wonderful presentation!
How Long Does Guacamole Last?
Like apples, guacamole easily oxidizes which means it turns brown when exposed to air. It’s still perfectly edible as long as it’s kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Spread a layer of plastic wrap over the top of the guacamole before storing it to avoid discoloration. Or squeeze a thin layer of lemon or lime juice on top, which can be poured off or incorporated when ready to serve.
Can You Freeze Guacamole?
Freeze guacamole in zippered bags with the date labeled on the outside up to 3 months.
Other Delicious Dip Recipes
- Fresh Guacamole With Tomatoes – absolutely delish!
- Homemade Queso Dip – delicious Tex Mex inspired Dip.
- Restaurant Style Salsa– delicious paired with guacamole!
- Smoked Tomato Guacamole – fantastic smoked flavor.
Easy Homemade Guacamole
- 2 avocados pitted and mashed
- 2 Tablespoons very finely diced red onion
- ½ jalapeno seeded and very finely diced
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- 3 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 lime juiced
- ½-1 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a medium bowl, mix together avocados, red onion, jalapeno, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, and ½ teaspoon kosher salt.
- Taste, and add more salt (and cilantro or lime juice) if desired. Serve immediately.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
Recipe from Mary Berg