This quick and easy Instant Pot Pesto Chicken and Red Potatoes recipe makes a juicy, flavorful and restaurant quality entree that will make the whole family happy.
Chicken breasts cooked to juicy perfection in the instant pot, are covered with bright and healthy pesto, and cooked over a bed of slightly sweet baby red potatoes. This recipe makes a one pot meal that is loaded with flavor, but is so simple to make! Instant pot chicken and potatoes is perfect for busy weeknights when time is short, and also delicious enough to serve for guests too.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Instant Pot Pesto Chicken and Red Potatoes recipe to your MAIN DISH Board!
Chicken & Potatoes in the Instant Pot
- Garlicky and lightly cheese flavored pesto is the condiment of choice for this dish. Pesto is such a simple sauce, but it’s filled with complex flavors that work well with mild chicken and potatoes.
- Put that Instant Pot to work with this easy dish. No need for extra pots or pans – just toss it all in the Instant Pot, cook, and dinner is ready.
- Serve this chicken and potatoes Instant Pot recipe with a side of Air Fryer Green Beans or a Kale Caesar Salad. Love pesto and pasta? Then try this Bow Tie Pesto Pasta Salad for a delicious side dish.
Ingredients & Variations
CHICKEN – Use whole skinless boneless chicken breasts, from a thawed or frozen state – no need to thaw! The Instant Pot will cook them up juicy and tender every time. Add chicken breasts to the pot and set for a cook time of 13 minutes. But if they are stuck together they may take a little longer to cook. Boneless chicken thighs would be a delicious alternative to the breasts, just reduce cook time as thighs are much smaller in size.
POTATOES – Red potatoes are an excellent choice for this recipe. They have the most potassium of any potato so are a healthy choice. And besides the health benefits, they are sweet, thin-skinned, and less starchy than other potatoes.
PESTO – This thick green sauce made from basil, olive oil, garlic, parmesan, a squeeze of lemon, and pine nuts, is rich, flavorful and packed full of nutrients! Make a homemade version or buy a jar in the pasta section of the supermarket.
VARIATIONS – Add some chopped carrots to the Instant Pot along with the potatoes. Or add more broth and turn this dish into a chicken pesto soup. No instant pot? Cover the chicken with pesto, and roast in the oven with the potatoes. Another option is to mash the potatoes before serving and add a dash of curry, replace the broth with some coconut milk and turn it into a Thai inspired dish.
How to Cook Chicken & Potatoes
Put that Instant pot to with this flavorful chicken dish.
- Add potatoes and broth to the pot as per the recipe below.
- Spread pesto on chicken. Add to pot.
- Cook on high for 10 minutes, let naturally release for 10, and then manually for 10.
The leftover chicken will keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. It can be frozen and will keep in an air tight container in the freezer. To cook, let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight, place it in a pan in a 350°F oven and roast for 30 minutes or until heated through. The potatoes may have a slight change in consistency when thawed. If not sure about freezing the potatoes, then separate the potatoes from the chicken and make these leftover Mashed Potato Pancakes (Irish Potato Bread).
Other Instant Pot Meals!
- Instant Pot Chicken and Mushroom Pasta – a hearty meal.
- Instant Pot Macaroni And Cheese – delicious and cheesy!
- Beef Stroganoff in the Instant Pot – quick 15 minute prep.
- Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage – savory one pot meal.
- Instant Pot Beef Pot Roast – a classic recipe made easy!
Instant Pot Pesto Chicken and Red Potatoes
- 3 pounds red potatoes cut into 1 ½ inch cubes (2-4 pounds will work)
- ½ onion sliced
- 1 cup chicken broth or 1 cup water plus 1 Tablespoon chicken base mixed together
- 4 chicken breasts
- ¾ cup pesto 1 small jar, approximately
- Add potatoes to Instant Pot, then sprinkle onions over top. Pour chicken broth over potatoes and onions.
- Spread pesto on one side of each chicken breast and put pesto side down on top of the potatoes. Spread remaining pesto on top of chicken.
- Seal the lid and select manual pressure high. Set the timer for 10 minutes*. Allow natural release for 10 minutes, then manually release the pressure. Make sure chicken is cooked to 165°F. If not, return to Instant Pot and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Transfer chicken and potatoes to a plate and serve. Drizzle potatoes and chicken with a couple Tablespoons of broth from the Instant Pot. Discard remaining broth in Instant Pot (or create a gravy if you’d like).
- Make sure chicken is cooked to a safe internal temperature of 165°F
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Recipe adapted from I Love My Instant PotChicken breasts are brushed with pesto and cooked over top of potatoes and onions in this Instant Pot Pesto Chicken And Red Potatoes recipe.