This Chickpea Salad recipe is simple to make, crunchy, colorful, and full of flavor!
This simple Chickpea Salad is a summer stunner, with fresh Mediterranean flavors and a bright salad dressing! It also has super healthy chickpeas, which are packed with protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Similar to our chickpea pasta salad, this salad recipe is wheat-free for a lower carb option.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this easy Chickpea Salad recipe to your SIDE DISH Board!
Why We Love This Chickpea Salad
Nothing is better than a cold salad on a hot day! Chickpea salad is perfect for a picnic or a potluck because the ingredients hold up so well! No lettuce to get wilted and no thick, creamy dressings to weigh it down! Only four ingredients, some salt and pepper, and then a chickpea salad dressing that keeps the salad bright and flavorful! It’s so fresh, and super simple to put together.
PULSES Chickpeas are available year-round, either dried or canned. Sometimes they are referred to as garbanzo beans. It’s also possible to buy green chickpeas that have a tender texture similar to edamame.
GRAPE TOMATOES are a smaller version of cherry tomatoes and can be purchased in a rainbow of colors to add variety to the salad. Either work, but grape tomatoes are a bit sweeter and we just love them.
BASIL For fancy-looking basil, lay several leaves on top of each other, roll them up (cigar style), and cut into long shreds with a knife. This is called ‘chiffonade’ and really makes dishes look restaurant-quality! (But is actually so easy!)
CHEESE Bocconcini balls make for amazing flavor and pleasing presentation. Cubed mozzarella can be used as well. Fresh mozzarella will provide the best flavor.
This recipe is perfect for adding ingredients and switching ingredients out! Use whatever you have on hand! Any way you prepare this salad, use heavier varieties of lettuce like arugula or kale to hold up with the other heavier ingredients.
- For a Greek version, add cucumbers and feta cheese, diced tomato.
- An Italian chickpea salad may include some spinach, asparagus, diced mozzarella, and salami.
- A Moroccan version would have couscous or quinoa, sweet potato, corn, and a squirt of lemon juice.
- Even a Tex-Mex version would have black beans, avocado, corn, chicken, some chopped cilantro, and add some cumin to the dressing for a spicy, southwest flair!
- Curried Indian style chickpeas can be added to add flavor to a vegan salad, kept super basic with some kale, broccoli, carrots, zucchini, and cauliflower.
How to Make Chickpea Salad
Chickpea salad is a quick and easy lunchtime favorite!
- Toss together chickpeas, bocconcini balls, and grape or cherry tomatoes (cut in half, if desired). Season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk dressing ingredients together and gently toss with the salad. Mix in chopped basil and season with extra salt and pepper.
- Chill the salad up to 30 minutes before serving.
PRO TIP: Double the dressing for salads that have extra ingredients, but be careful not to overdress. Save leftover dressing for another salad or marinade.
What to Eat with Chickpea Salad
The best entrees and sides to go with chickpea salad are these tasty smoked beef ribs or some smoked salmon. Or serve with a side dish of healthy oven-roasted beets or some sautéed beet greens. And try making a cranberry pear pie for dessert!
How Long Does Chickpea Salad Last?
- Chickpea salad will last longer than most lettuce-based salads, so as long as it’s covered and kept in the refrigerator, it will keep about 5 days.
- Give it a stir and add a little salt and pepper and a splash of lemon juice to refresh flavors.
- 15 ounces chickpeas 1 can, rinsed and drained (garbanzo beans)
- 1 pint grape tomatoes halved (or cherry tomatoes)
- 1 cup small bocconcini balls halved (baby mozzarella)
- 25 leaves basil finely chopped (or chiffonade), about ⅓ - ½ cup
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, toss chickpeas, tomatoes, and bocconcini together.
- In a small dish, whisk together olive oil, vinegars, garlic, and honey if using, to make dressing.
- Add dressing and basil to chickpea mixture and toss together. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.