It’s hard to beat oven roasted beets! (pardon the pun) Beets have enjoyed a resurgence in the culinary world, not only for its healthful benefits, but for all the many ways they can be prepared. Beets are a colorful complement to any entrée and are so easy to cook!
This oven roasted beet recipe is amazing along side Dijon Chicken or on top of Chickpea Pasta Salad.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Oven Roasted Beets recipe to your Side Dish Board!
One of the more overlooked vegetables, cooking with whole beets and beet leaves is part of the new culinary frontier! Red, yellow or golden beets make for a bright and tangy roasted beet salad. Simply season and wrap whole beets in foil for baked beets.
Are Beets Healthy?
Beets are a root vegetable that have a mild, earthy flavor and a starchy texture that most people enjoy. Eating fresh beets on a regular basis means lower blood pressure, improved blood flow, and extra doses of essential nutrients, potassium, and iron with every bite. Beets are also a good source of fiber and are said to help increase exercise performance.
How to Prepare Beets for Cooking
Beets should be full and heavy, without blemishes or soft spots. Try to find beets with the greens attached because they can be added to the water when boiling beets, sauteed into a delicious side dish, or added to smoothies. I freeze the leaves and toss them in frozen!
Rinse the beets, wipe off any dirt (I use a firm bristled vegetable scrub brush), and dry with a paper towel. Simply clean and cut off the tops and bottoms to prepare them for a recipe. Beets don’t need to be peeled unless you plan to eat them raw
How to Cook Beets
Cooking beets is as easy as cooking any starchy vegetable like potatoes or carrots. Beets can be:
- Boiled: boil easily in a pot of salted water for 45 to 60 minutes
- Baked: Cut into smaller pieces and roasted in the oven with a little oil and salt and pepper for about 30 minutes or until fork tender
- Roasted: beets are wrapped in foil and baked until tender, about 45 to 60 minutes.
- Instant Pot: Instant Pot beets are easy to make too! Just add a cup of water to the Instant Pot and cook on high for about 20 minutes then natural release for another ten minutes.
Once beets are cooked, they can be served hot or they can be mashed and served with butter and a dollop of sour cream and chives on top.
Or instead, cool and pop them in the fridge in an airtight container or Stasher bag. They’ll last for about a week. Serve up some slices on top of Kale Quinoa Salad, or dice up and toss into Red Leaf Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette.
For a really fast side, with delicious Simple Beef Stroganoff or quick and easy Hamburger Pasta Medley, slice or quarter the roasted beets and sprinkle with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar (or any vinegar flavor you enjoy). Crack some freshly ground pepper and sprinkle with a little salt, and the beets will shine!
Can You Freeze Cooked Beets?
Beets are easy to freeze! Once they are cooked and cooled, place whole small beets (about one to two inches in diameter) or chopped beets in zip top bags or Stasher Bags and label them with the date. Frozen beets will keep in the freezer for about 6 months. Let them thaw in the refrigerator and prepare as desired.
Other Tasty Sides!
- Roasted Green Beans – crispy and delicious!
Oven Roasted Beets
- 1 pound beet
- drizzle olive oil optional, about 1 Tablespoon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Scrub beets clean. Spread foil in a double layer and arrange beets in a single layer. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 45 minutes for small beets, up to 75 minutes for large beets.
- Allow to cool in foil, and once cool, use paper towel to rub off skins (use knife if needed). Wear rubber gloves to avoid staining on your hands.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Pin this easy Oven Roasted Beets recipe!