Blueberry muffins with crumb topping is hands-down one of my favorite family recipes! The lemon zest really brings out the blueberry buckle flavor! I’ve had this blueberry muffin recipe for years, from my mom. A lot of great recipes I make come from her!
Enjoy alone as a weekday breakfast, or as the perfect accompaniment to brunch: sweet blueberry muffins with crumb topping, and savory Jalapeno Popper Quiche. If you’re up for another batch of muffins on your brunch menu to feed a crowd, include an easy batch of Rhubarb Applesauce Muffins or some Banana Coconut Muffins with Pineapple.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Blueberry Muffins With Crumb Topping recipe to your Breakfast Board!
What is Blueberry Buckle, You Ask?
A buckle is kind of a cobbler because the top is coarse, unlike a pie or tart. The crumbly crust is spooned over the fruit making a streusel-like topping. Very rustic and very ‘country,’ this old-fashioned blueberry buckle recipe is as easy to make as it is to eat! This blueberry buckle cake (muffin version) can be made in mini-size, regular-sized or Texas-sized for every appetite!
How Do You Make Blueberry Buckle?
Don’t worry if you don’t have fresh blueberries (although, they are always best). If you use frozen berries, select berries that are whole and plump so they ‘pop’ in your mouth!
- Preheat oven and grease muffin pan of your choice. You can also use paper muffin liners if you like.
- Cream together butter and wet ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet, but only slightly. Over-mixing will produce muffins that won’t rise as much and will not be as tender.
- Pour the muffin batter equally into the muffin pan.
- Gently sprinkle the blueberries evenly into each muffin cup and then sprinkle on the streusel topping. Press down on the topping with the back of a spoon to make sure it stays on top of the muffin.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.Let the muffin cool in the pan on a wire rack, about 5 to 10 minutes. Using a knife, run it around the edge of each muffin to remove from the pan. If your muffins are in paper muffin cups, simply pop them out!
My kids love making these. Mixing, sprinkling, more mixing, and more sprinkling. They snack on the blueberries along the way, and they LOVE the tasty blueberries mixed with lemony sweetness when they get to eat the muffins at the end.
Other Ideas to Make Berry Buckle
Instead of a blueberry buckle recipe, try raspberries, blackberries, or even chopped strawberries! Just don’t forget to add the lemon zest to really make those flavors sing!
We definitely enjoy healthy banana blueberry bran muffins. To make a more healthy blueberry buckle recipe, swap out the regular flour for whole wheat flour.
Blueberry Muffins With Crumb Topping, Blueberry Buckle Muffins
- ¼ cup butter softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cup blueberries
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup butter softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest
- Grease 12 large muffin tins. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, combine butter, sugar, egg, vanilla, and milk.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir only slightly. Spoon the batter evenly between 12 muffin tins (I use a 3 Tablespoon cookie scoop).
- Sprinkle the blueberries evenly on top of the batter of the 12 muffins.
- Combine Topping ingredients and spoon evenly over the 12 muffins.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Allow to cool in tins for 5-10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around muffins and remove from muffin tins. Serve or cool on a cooling rack.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
Pin this Blueberry Muffins with Crumb Topping recipe!