It’s so easy to make this homemade Chili Seasoning recipe!
The best thing about making a seasoning at home is that the ingredients can be mixed and matched to suit any personal spice level. Make it in a pinch when there’s just no time for a trip to the grocery store. And make an extra batch of this southwestern mix to share with a friend, or keep it for yourself! This delicious mix is so versatile and can be added to just about anything from meat to eggs, or even popcorn!
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Chili Seasoning recipe to your Spices and Seasoning Board!
Homemade Chili Seasoning
- Use Chili Seasoning for tacos, burritos, omelets, soups and stews. Perfect used to season steaks, chicken, pork chops, and even fish!
- Here are some south-of-the-border inspired recipes for chili seasoning – Homemade Queso Dip, Restaurant Style Salsa, Easy Homemade Guacamole, Oven Baked Fries, Mexican Street Corn (Elote), Chili With Stew Meat, Chicken Taco Soup, Chicken Fajitas, and Baked Whole Fish.
- Why buy the McCormick packets of powdered seasoning when fresh is best? Homemade chili seasoning is made without unwanted preservatives and sugars, plus it’s gluten-free!
What’s in Chili Seasoning?
BASIC MIX: Six easy spices in equal amounts make this mix both foolproof and quick! While basil (or coriander) is added in smaller amounts, everything you’d expect from a spicy and savory, all-purpose seasoning is here: garlic, chili, cumin, paprika, and oregano.
VARIATIONS: Dry mustard, white pepper, thyme, ground allspice, and lemon or lime zest create new depths of flavor. To spice it up add 1/6 to 1/8 of red pepper flakes and/or cayenne pepper, if desired. PRO TIP! To prevent clumping, add a pinch of corn starch to the spice mix.
How to Make Chili Seasoning
Have this chili seasoning ready for all those spicy and delicious homemade dishes, and of course Chili!
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl
- Whisk together or shake (as per the recipe below).
How to Store Seasoning
The best containers for homemade chili seasoning are leftover containers with ready-made shaker lids. Otherwise, simply use a mason jar! Cover the top of the jar with a piece of plastic wrap and secure it with a rubber band around the mouth of the jar. Then poke small holes in the plastic to make a DIY shaker lid. Be sure to discard plastic wrap after each use.
Keep homemade chili seasoning in a cool, dry place like the pantry or cupboard. Write the date on the lid or on a piece of masking tape. Homemade seasoning will be good for 6 months.
Other Easy Seasoning Recipes!
- Homemade Taco Seasoning – so flavorful.
- Fajita Seasoning – versatile recipe.
- Everything Bagel Seasoning Recipe – not just for bagels!
- Jerk Seasoning – to spice things up.
Optional, for a spicier seasoning blend
- 1/16-⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/16-⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a mason jar or medium bowl, combine all ingredients thoroughly.
- Store in a mason jar with a lid, or any sealed airtight container.
- Recipe makes about 5 ½ Tablespoons. Each serving is approximately ½ teaspoon.
- Use 1½-2 Tablespoons per pound of meat.
- To make a bulk batch (makes 16 ½ Tablespoons, slightly over 1 cup total, enough for 8-11 pounds of meat):
- 3 Tablespoons garlic powder
- 3 Tablespoons chili powder
- 3 Tablespoons cumin
- 3 Tablespoons paprika
- 3 Tablespoons oregano
- 1 Tablespoon basil, or coriander
- ½ Tablespoon black pepper (1 ½ teaspoons)
- ¼-½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional, for spicier seasoning blend
- ¼-½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional, for spicier seasoning blend
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!