A hot and hearty bowl of black bean chili is perfect for busy days and cool evenings!
This easy crockpot chili recipe, made with ground beef, sweet onions, tomato sauce, green chilis, corn and black beans, is quick and easy to prepare. The slow cooker does the remainder of the work! Slow cooked chili is the best because the flavors have extra time to blend together. The result is a simple, yet delicious southwest style chili that everyone will love!
Easy Crockpot Chili
- There are so many ways to make chili! And with this versatile recipe, add what the family loves and avoid the things they don’t, so everyone will be happy!
- Chili is one of the best things to make for a crowd, or party. So when the gang is over to watch the big game, serve this simple southwest style chili on a bun or garlic toast.
- Batch cook chili and enjoy it all week! It makes the perfect hearty lunch, or add a simple side salad for a quick and easy dinner.
Beef: Lean ground beef is the traditional protein used in most chili recipes, however ground turkey or chicken, or even adding some spicy sausage are all delicious options! Or for a vegetarian version, omit the meat and add an extra can of beans!
Beans: Black beans are protein packed and full of flavor. But many people prefer a chili without beans, which is fine too! So either add more, or omit completely – either way it will turn out great! Other tasty beans to substitute or add are pinto beans and red kidney beans.
Sauce: The sauce in this recipe is made simply with tomato sauce, tomato paste and beef broth. If a more chunky sauce is desired, use a can of diced or even whole tomatoes.
Veggies: Onions, corn and green chilis are simple ingredients that add delicious flavor and texture to chili. But use what the family likes! If they do not care for the texture of onions, omit and use 1 teaspoon onion powder instead. Omit the corn too if desired. Or load it up with veggies! Add diced bell peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, and some diced jalapenos for extra heat!
Seasonings: Chili is so easy to tailor to individual tastes. This black bean chili recipe calls for chili powder, cumin and paprika, or use this all-in-one homemade chili seasoning instead. The combination of seaonings in this recipe is not overly spicy, but feel free to add or reduce the amounts to make it as spicy or as mild as desired! Try adding some red chili flakes or hot sauce to kick up the heat a bit.
How To Make Black Bean Chili
This crockpot recipe is so easy!
- Brown ground beef, drain excess grease and add to slow cooker. Saute onion and garlic and add to beef.
- Add all remaining ingredients and stir.
- Put the lid on, and slow cook for 8-10 hours or set to high and cook for 4-5 hours.
Alternately, use the same instructions and cook on the stovetop on low heat for delicious results!
There are so many ways to serve chili! It’s delicious served over a baked potato, a baked sweet potato, or make a platter of chili topped french fries. Make a tray of nachos topped with cheese and green onion then add this black bean chili for a melty, cheesy snack. Or just serve a from a bowl and top with assorted toppings like diced jalapenos, shredded cheese, salsa, sour cream, and sliced avocado. And don’t forget a colorful fruit tray with dip, and some tasty brownies for dessert!
Refrigerate cooled black bean chili in a covered container for 4-5 days. Chili is one of the best dishes to freeze, so make a big batch and place in containers or zippered bags, then freeze for up to 3 months.
Reheat chili in a slow cooker, on the stove top or in the microwave. And it can be reheated from a thawed or frozen state. Take frozen chili along on the next camping trip, and reheat over the campstove or fire for a super easy and filling dinner.
Crockpot Black Bean Chili
- 1½ pounds ground beef
- 1 teaspoon butter or olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 48-58 ounces tomato sauce 2 large cans
- 1 cup beef broth
- 15½ ounces black beans drained and rinsed, 1 can
- 15¼ ounces corn niblets drained, or 1 cup frozen, 1 can
- 6 ounces tomato paste 1 small can
- 4 ounces diced green chilies 1 small can
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder or to taste
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Brown ground beef in hot skillet. Drain excess grease, then place in the bottom of slow cooker. Add 1 teaspoon butter to skillet and saute onion for 3-4 minutes, until soft. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add onion and garlic to beef.
- Add tomato sauce, beef broth, beans, corn, tomato paste, green chilis, and seasonings to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cook for 4-5 hours on high, or low for 8-10 hours.
- Stir and serve with toppings such as diced jalapenos, shredded cheese, salsa, sour cream, avocado, and green onions.
- This recipe can be doubled. Just brown the beef in batches before adding to the slow cooker.
- Cool chili and refrigerate in a covered container for 4-5 days.
- Freeze cooled chili in a zippered bag for up to 3 months.
- Reheat chili, from a frozen or thawed state, in a slow cooker, on the stove top or in the microwave.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!