Release your inner lucky leprechaun and make a batch (or two!) of this Boozy Shamrock Shake recipe!
For a limited time in March, McDonald’s showcases their famously thick and creamy, mint flavored Shamrock shakes. But why should the kids have all the fun? Now, anyone can make these tasty milkshakes at home any time of year with this copycat recipe. And this one is even better than the original, because it has something a little “extra” for the grown-ups! It’s a great way to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, but also delicious as a cool summer treat too!
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Boozy Shamrock Shake recipe to your HOLIDAYS & DESSERTS Board!
What’s a Shamrock Shake?
- Shamrock shakes are so popular because they have a distinctively refreshing mint flavor blended with vanilla ice cream. Top each serving with a dollop of whipped cream and garnish with a maraschino cherry. Its so decadent and delicious!
- This recipe is made for variations so everyone can have their own signature shake! For a pop of nutrition that no one will know about, add a scoop of vanilla protein powder (which also helps slow down alcohol absorption). Mix in crushed Oreo cookies, mini M&M’s, or chocolate chips for a Mc Flurry style frozen dessert.
- While the grown-ups enjoy some Chocolate Rum Balls, the kids can feast on a gooey Pizookie, some minty Chocolate Mint Truffle Cookies, or this Copycat Buster Bar Ice Cream Cake.
What’s in a Boozy Shamrock Shake?
DAIRY: Both the original shake and this boozy version have vanilla ice cream, heavy cream (or milk) with an optional whipped cream topping.
FLAVORING OR ALCOHOL: For a G-rated version, use a dash of peppermint extract or a scoop or two of mint-chocolate chip ice cream. This grownup version will have a healthy dose of crème de menthe, Bailey’s Irish cream or perhaps even some Irish whiskey!
FOOD COLORING: For this shake to have the luck ‘o the Irish, green food coloring is a must, A drop or two will give this Shamrock shake its famous pale green color! Use more for a bright green shake, or less for a pretty pastel colored shake. Young or old, Irish eyes will be smilin’ after the first sip. Too much food coloring will turn your mouth green!
GARNISH: A maraschino cherry on top is gorgeous, but feel free to leave it off. Or substitute a drizzle of chocolate syrup, some chocolate shavings, or a few shakes of green sugar crystals. Even some shamrock shaped sprinkles would look great!
How to Make a Boozy Shamrock Shake
Simple steps but delish results:
- Place all ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth.
- Serve in small, clear plastic cups, or martini glasses.
- Garnish with whipped cream and other favorite toppings as desired.
Tips for Shamrock Shakes
- About 30 minutes before making, chill the blender or bullet blender carafe in the refrigerator so the drinks come out extra cold. Even the drink glasses can be chilled in the freezer, and will come out frosty.
- For leftover shakes, freeze until the shake mixture hardens and then serve as ice cream!
Other Tasty Treats!
- Rhubarb Liqueur – fresh for summer.
- Strawberry Margarita Recipe – perfect party drink.
- Homemade Grand Marnier – so easy.
- Cherry Margaritas– a delicious twist on a classic.
- Irish Flag Shooter – colorful and fun.
Boozy Shamrock Shake
- 1 cup ice cream
- ⅓ cup cream or milk
- 1 ½ ounces green creme de menthe
- 3 green food coloring (or if clear creme de menthe, add 10 drops green food coloring), or to your color preference, optional
- whipped cream optional, for garnish
- maraschino cherries optional, for garnish
- In a blender or bullet blender, add ice cream, cream, creme de menthe, and food coloring. Mix about 30 seconds to 1 minute, until smooth.
- Pour into a martini glass or glass of your choice and garnish with whipped cream and maraschino cherries as desired.
- Nutrition calculated without toppings.
- Chill blending jar and serving glasses in the refrigerator to keep milkshake extra cold.
- Freeze any leftovers and serve as ice cream.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
REPIN this Boozy Shamrock Shake recipe!
I’ll make this on St Pats for all my Irish friends.
Finally an adult version of my favorite March treat at McDonald’s.
I love it!