Are you looking for an easy rum balls recipe for the Holidays? These no bake chocolate rum balls go from the kitchen to the Christmas party in no time at all! This simple rum balls recipe is made without vanilla wafers or cocoa because they use chocolate Oreo cookie crumbs. The easier, the better!
Your guests will love these Bacardi rum balls when you serve them during the holidays. Especially after eating a lovely dinner of Oven Baked Ham With Pineapple or Slow Cooker Spaghetti Sauce. Secretly, you may even sneak one after serving Breakfast Bake Recipe and Monkey Bread Muffins for your holiday brunch!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Rum Balls recipe to your Treats Board!
Rum balls are a family tradition for us. They truly are my Grandma’s best rum balls ever and are a nice way to celebrate the holidays and ring in the new year!
What Rum Should I Use to Make Rum Balls?
For the best ever rum balls, use Kraken rum or Bacardi rum. You don’t have to break the bank with premium rum for rum balls, but the more rum the better – it helps to make them last forever. In fact, you could make rum balls this year and they would be still good for next Christmas!
For a different spin, try using toasted pecans instead of walnuts. For rum ball cookies, gently flatten the rum balls with a knife before topping with the sprinkles and popping them in the fridge!
For a non-alcoholic version that is perfect for kids and teetotalers, replace the alcohol with extract like brandy or rum (or omit altogether). Make this your very own signature rum balls recipe and wait for the ooh’s and aah’s all around!
How to Make Rum Balls
- Crush the chocolate sandwich cookies in a food processor.
- In a bowl, mix cookies, walnuts, cream, and some of the rum. Mix well until the ingredients can hold together well.
- Scoop into mini balls and roll in chocolate sprinkles.
- For the most amazing rum balls and to let the flavors develop, keep in the fridge up to two days prior to serving.
Can Rum Balls Be Frozen?
They sure can! In fact, rum balls can be made way in advance (like days or weeks!) and then frozen for future use. They’ll keep a long time in the refrigerator and are ready at a moment’s notice for an impromptu get together or gift!
Make these chocolaty rum balls part of your baking tradition. My friends insisted that I make these for our annual baking night and it’s the number one item on my holiday baking list, next to gingerbread and shortbread. Happy Holidays and enjoy rum balls responsibly ;). They pack a delicious punch!
Chocolate Rum Balls
- 3 cups chocolate sandwich cookies crushed (in food processor)
- 1 ½ cups finely chopped walnuts
- 3 Tablespoons whipping cream
- ¼-½ cup rum white or dark (dark is stronger)
- chocolate sprinkles
- Combine crushed cookies, walnuts, cream, and ¼ cup rum and mix well. Add more rum if desired, or as needed to make batter stick together well.**
- Use mini cookie scoop or melon scoop and make balls. Roll in chocolate sprinkles.
- Store in fridge for two days before serving.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
PIN this Chocolate Rum Balls recipe!