Get sweet, creamy, and cozy fall vibes with this homemade pumpkin spice latte recipe!
This creamy and aromatic beverage captures the essence of the season, combining rich espresso, warm spices, velvety milk, and a touch of pumpkin goodness.
Make this PSL at home using these 3 different methods and save time and money without even leaving the kitchen!
Easy Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe
- Skip the Starbucks, McDonald’s, and Dunkin’s drive-throughs and make your own PSL in minutes and tailor it to your own preferences!
- Pumpkin spiced lattes don’t even need any special equipment and can even be made in large batches and kept hot in a crock pot for guests to help themselves!
- Even kids love PSLs, just make them with caffeine-free coffee (or powdered cocoa) and a squirt of whipped cream, and maybe a drizzle of chocolate or caramel sauce on the top!
What’s in a Pumpkin Spice Latte?
Coffee/Espresso: Any robust blend that’s brewed extra strong or espresso or instant espresso will work. Decaf alternatives won’t compromise the flavor so you can enjoy a PSL in the evening as well!
Pumpkin: Choose pumpkin puree and not canned pumpkin pie filling, which is air whipped and has seasonings already added to it. Freeze leftover pumpkin puree in ice cube trays to add to smoothies, stir into overnight oats, or add to pumpkin soup.
Milk: Whole milk produces those frothy, café-style results we love, but many dairy-free alternatives can be used with similar results at home. Almond, rice, hemp, and even oat milk will work in this recipe as well. Make your own half-and-half, if it’s not available.
Sugar: Totally optional, but adds great flavor! Maple syrup or any sugar-free sweetener will work as well for fewer calories.
Boozy Version: Shots of Baileys, brandy, and Grand Marnier can be added for adult beverages and add that extra kick!
How to Make a Pumpkin Spice Latte
So easy to make, you’ll wonder why you ever had to wait for Fall to enjoy them! Feel free to adjust the shots of espresso and pumpkin puree if you want a more pronounced pumpkin flavor!
On the Stovetop:
- Heat milk, pumpkin puree, sugar, and pumpkin spice in a pot (do not boil).
- Froth as directed in the recipe below (if desired).
- Add vanilla (if using).
- Pour hot milk mixture into mugs and top with espresso/strong coffee. Garnish with whipped cream and pumpkin spice and serve.
- Pour steamed milk into mugs.
- Whisk hot espresso, pumpkin pure, sugar, pumpkin spice, and vanilla (if using) in a bowl and stir into the milk.
- Garnish with whipped cream and pumpkin spice and serve.
- Heat milk on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- Add milk, pumpkin puree, sugar, pumpkin spice, and vanilla (if using) to a blender.
- Blend until frothy. Pour into mugs and top with espresso.
- Garnish with whipped cream and pumpkin spice and serve.
- Place milk, espresso, pumpkin puree, sugar, pumpkin spice, and vanilla (if using) in a large pitcher or mason jar with a tight-fitting lid.
- Add ice and shake well.
- Pour iced pumpkin spice lattes over ice and garnish with whipped cream and pumpkin spice and serve.
Tips for the Perfect PSL
- Add a dash of vanilla extract to the milk while it’s heating up for a deeper flavor.
- Steep a few whole cloves, star anise, slices of fresh ginger, or a couple of cinnamon sticks in the milk mixture and remove them before serving.
- Similar to chai tea but without the cardamom and vanilla, make your own homemade pumpkin spice for pumpkin spice lattes. Keep it year-round and add it to everything from oatmeal to cupcakes!
- For a nutrition boost, add a scoop of vanilla protein powder to your PSL!
Have you tried this Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe? Leave a comment and rating below!
Have you tried this Pumpkin Spice Latte recipe? Leave a comment and rating below!
Pumpkin Spice Latte
- 2 cups milk or almond milk
- 2-3 Tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons sugar or maple syrup or other sweetener of your choice, or to taste
- ½-1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice plus more for garnish if desired
- 1 teaspoon vanilla optional
- 2 shots espresso * or ½ cup strong brewed coffee
- whipped cream optional garnish
- In a small pot, mix milk, pumpkin puree, sugar, and pumpkin spice. Heat over medium heat until hot and steamy (do not boil).
- Use a whisk, frother, or immersion blender to mix together and create froth/ foam if desired. Remove from heat and add vanilla if using.
- Pour into mug(s) and top with espresso. Garnish with whipped cream and a sprinkle with pumpkin spice if desired and serve.
- Steam milk and pour into mug(s).
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl or measuring cup, mix together hot espresso, pumpkin puree, sugar, pumpkin spice, and vanilla if using. Add to milk and stir.
- Garnish with whipped cream and a sprinkle with pumpkin spice if desired and serve.
- Heat milk over medium heat until hot (do not boil) or heat in the microwave.
- Add milk, pumpkin puree, sugar, pumpkin spice, and vanilla if using, to blender.
- Blend 1-2 minutes, or until frothy.
- Pour into mug(s) and pour espresso over. Garnish with whipped cream and a sprinkle with pumpkin spice if desired and serve.
- In a large shaker or jar, add milk, espresso, pumpkin puree, sugar, pumpkin spice, and vanilla if using.
- Add about 1-2 cups ice to shaker. Cover and shake well.
- Pour over a glass filled with 1 cup ice. Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of pumpkin spice if desired and serve.
- *Double the espresso for a stronger flavor with extra kick!
- For more pumpkin flavor, add 3 Tablespoons pumpkin puree and 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice.
- To enhance the flavor of your latte, opt for freshly ground spices rather than pre-ground ones, if possible.
- Adjust the sweetness and spice level to taste.
- Experiment with different types of milk to suit your dietary, or taste preferences. Try using almond milk, oat milk, coconut milk, or soy milk for a unique twist.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!