This homemade gingerbread spice will bring all baking and cooking to the next level, in both flavor and aroma!
It takes only 5 ingredients that are probably already in the pantry – cinnamon, sugar, allspice, cloves, and nutmeg. The right combination of these ingredients makes a spice mix that is sure to perk up cookies, vegetables, and so many baked goods and beverages. Simply mix them together in a bowl and store in a jar or container until ready to use. Give them a little shake and add to a variety of holiday favorites.
Homemade Gingerbread Spice
- Like pumpkin spice but the ratios are different, gingerbread spice has a decidedly more pungent flavor and aroma.
- This spice mix is so quick and easy to make and adds a shot of aromatic spice to cakes, cookies, muffins, and even pies.
- Swirl it into coffee, hot cocoa, or eggnog, or make your own version of Captain Morgan’s popular Gingerbread Spiced Rum
- Make in larger batches (see recipe below) and use all year long!
Ingredients and Variations
SPICES: cinnamon, ginger, ground allspice, cloves, and nutmeg can be accented with a little white pepper for a shaper flavor or ground cardamom for fragrance.
How to Make Gingerbread Spice
- Whisk ingredients in a bowl, or add them to a jar, and shake until there are no lumps left.
Ways to Use Gingerbread Spice
Add gingerbread spice to a bakery-style pear upside-down cake or even sprinkled on grilled pineapple, use as a replacement for cinnamon in zucchini chocolate muffins, or add a dash to add a savory flavor to pumpkin soup.
PRO TIP: Sprinkle a little homemade spice mix inside the lid on a carved-out jack-o-lantern and let the heat source (candle, LED light) heat up the inside of the pumpkin for a rich and spicy holiday aroma!
Storing Gingerbread Spice
Keep this spicy mixture in a covered container in the pantry away from direct heat or humidity. Shake before using.
Try This Tasty Spice Mix In….
- Pumpkin Pie Muffins – perfect recipe for fall
- Apple Bundt Cake – quick prep
- Peach Dump Cake – so simple and delish!
- Double Chocolate Pumpkin Cookies – for a different flavor
- Add ingredients to a medium bowl, and stir well. Sift to remove any lumps (optional).
- Store in an air tight container or a mason jar with a tight fitting lid.
- 2 Tablespoons cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons ginger
- 2 Tablespoons ground allspice
- 1 Tablespoon cloves
- 1 Tablespoon ground nutmeg
- ⅜ teaspoon white pepper
- 4 Tablespoons cinnamon
- 4 Tablespoons ginger
- 4 Tablespoons ground allspice
- 2 Tablespoon cloves
- 2 Tablespoon ground nutmeg
- ¾ teaspoon white pepper
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!