A Pumpkin Soup recipe makes a hearty, heartwarming, and healthy dish that is perfect any time of year.
This easy, homemade recipe uses fresh pumpkin or canned pumpkin and a little cream with a handful of savory and spicy seasonings. With this unique recipe, create a creamy and fragrant soup that is guaranteed to please! This is the only pumpkin soup recipe you’ll ever need— the bold flavors and fragrant spices make this dish absolutely unforgettable. And the best part is that this gourmet style soup is not only delicious, but also so easy to make!
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Pumpkin Soup Recipe to your SOUPS Board!
Perfect Pumpkin Soup!
- Loaded with vitamins and antioxidants, pumpkin soup is an easy way to have energizing dinners and lunches all week long!
- Nothing goes to waste in this recipe! Use up that leftover Halloween pumpkin and then make Homemade Pumpkin Seeds for a crunchy garnish!
What’s in Pumpkin Soup?
Pumpkin soup has a mild, sweet, and earthy flavor so all kinds of variations will accent its flavor.
PUMPKIN: Choose heavy pumpkins that are unblemished. Use all pumpkin or add a combination of any other squash like butternut, acorn, or even sweet potatoes or carrots! Canned pumpkin can be used in place of fresh pumpkin, but will not have that robust, roasted flavor.
CREAMY BASE: Heavy cream provides a rich and creamy flavor and texture, so try to use the real thing. However, non-dairy milk alternatives like coconut milk or oat milk will give the soup a creamy texture as well without altering the flavor too much.
SEASONINGS: This is where it all comes together! This recipe is Thai-inspired with the addition of curry powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cook as directed in the recipe, or omit the seasonings and create your own! Try this Fajita Seasoning, or a spicy Jerk Seasoning.
TOPPINGS – Pumpkin soup tastes better with some crunchy toppings! Pumpkin Seeds, savory or sweet from scratch, or croutons are delish, but so is some shredded cheese or a dollop of sour cream!
How to Make Pumpkin Soup
It’s easy to make this soup, just roast the pumpkin while prepping the other ingredients:
- Coat pumpkin pieces with oil and roast until tender (per recipe below).
- Sauté onion and add seasonings.
- Add pumpkin & broth to the pot. Bring to a boil and then simmer.
- Blend the soup with an immersion blender, or in batches in a blender.
- Add cream. Serve with garnishes, if desired.
What to Serve With
A hot and hearty soup needs a thick slice of No Knead Bread! A bright Kale Caesar Salad or a colorful Greek Salad Recipe are delicious with homemade pumpkin soup!
Keep leftover pumpkin soup in a covered container in the refrigerator, and reheat on the stove. Freeze soup in zippered bags, with the date labeled on the outside, for up to 8 weeks. Or, freeze leftover pumpkin soup in ice cube trays and pop out a cube or two to add to a veggie saute, stir fry, or soup!
Best Soup Recipes
- Turkey Noodle Soup – perfect for leftovers.
- Tortellini Soup – easy supper!
- Split Pea and Ham Soup Recipe – hearty & comforting
- Chicken Taco Soup – a spicy delight!
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup – another creamy soup recipe.
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 pounds roasted pumpkin *, about 4-5 cups, (approximately 1 medium pumpkin)
- ½ onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon curry powder optional, can replace with cumin or ginger
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth, more to bring to desired consistency
- ½ cup heavy cream or coconut milk
- ½ cup pepitas or roasted pumpkin seeds
- heavy cream optional for garnish
- ½ cup croutons optional for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking tray(s) with parchment paper.
- Cut pumpkin into halves or quarters. Scrape out seeds (save for roasted pumpkin seeds) and membranes. Brush pumpkin flesh with about 2 Tablespoons of olive oil. Roast pumpkin for 35-45 minutes, until fork tender. Cool slightly and remove peel from the pumpkin.**
Make Pumpkin Soup
- In a large dutch oven or pot on medium low heat, add one Tablespoon of olive oil. Add onion and cook until onion is translucent, about 5-6 minutes. Add garlic, curry, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and pepper, and cook for two minutes, until garlic is fragrant.
- Add pumpkin and broth. On medium high heat, bring soup to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer for 10-15 minutes, to allow flavors to blend.
- Meanwhile, roast the pepitas in a dry small skillet on medium heat for about 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently. They’ll start to pop and brown quickly. Remove from the heat and transfer to a dish to cool.
- Remove soup from the heat and puree using an immersion blender***. Add cream and stir. Serve topped with pepitas, a swirl of heavy cream, and a few croutons if desired.
**If desired, prepare pumpkin and refrigerate up to one week before making the soup.
***To use a stand blender, carefully transfer the hot soup to the blender (in batches), filling only to the fill line on the blender. Affix the lid, leaving air vent in the middle of the lid open. Cover with a towel, hold the lid down tightly, and blend until smooth.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
REPIN this Pumpkin Soup recipe!