This quick and easy Broccoli and Cheddar Soup Recipe is so comforting and delicious.
Make this easy copycat Panera broccoli & cheese soup recipe on a chilly day, or serve it as an elegant brunch offering. Tender broccoli florets are cooked with carrots and onions and then blended with parmesan and cheddar cheeses. Add some cream and broth, lightly seasoned with savory herbs and spices, and it’s a recipe for success. Every home cook needs this classic soup. Plus there are three easy ways to prepare it! Try making it on the stovetop, or in an Instant Pot of Crockpot.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Broccoli and Cheddar Soup recipe to your SOUPS & APPETIZERS Board!
Best Broccoli & Cheddar Soup!
- With roughly 6 grams of net carbs per cup and the right balance of fats and calories, broccoli and cheddar soup will keep keto lovers filled up and energized!
- Cook this velvety-textured soup and keep warm in the Crock Pot or Instant Pot and everyone can help themselves!
- Serve with a thick slice of crusty Sourdough Soda Bread and some Honey Butter, and one of these healthy side salads: Red Leaf Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette, Chickpea Salad, or Bow Tie Pesto Pasta Salad.
- Kids love this soup because it is so rich and cheesy. They won’t even know that it’s packed with healthy fiber and nutrition from broccoli!
Ingredients and Variations
Simple, wholesome ingredients are what makes this broccoli and cheddar soup a family favorite!
BROCCOLI: Fresh is best for this recipe for both the broccoli and carrots. However, frozen works great and doesn’t need to be thawed before using! For a heartier, thicker soup add some diced frozen potatoes (although it won’t be keto).
CHEESE: Cheddar and parmesan cheese give this soup its rich and velvety texture. For the brightest cheese flavor, sharp cheddar is best.
BASE: Light cream and flour are all it takes to give broccoli and cheddar soup its distinctly creamy texture once it’s added to the pureed soup. Use more or less depending on the consistency you prefer.
ADD-INS: This is a great soup for using up leftover meat! Chicken, slices of kielbasa or even meatballs make this soup even more hearty!
How to Make Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Savory creamy soup is not that hard to make from scratch!
- Cook carrots and onion in butter until soft.
- Add broccoli, broth, and seasonings (per recipe below) and simmer until broccoli is softened.
- Remove one cup of the veggies (chop, if desired).
- Blend soup with an immersion blender (or in portions using a regular blender). Bring soup to a boil.
- Whisk together cream and flour in a small bowl until smooth. Slowly add to soup, whisking until the soup is thick and bubbling.
- Remove soup from heat. Stir in cheeses until smooth.
- Add remaining vegetables before serving.
In the Instant Pot:
- Set Instant Pot to “Saute” and cook onion in butter.
- Add broccoli, broth, and seasonings (amounts found in recipe below). Close and lock the lid in place. Set the manual button (or pressure cook button) to 3 minutes. Let the Instant Pot vent. Remove one cup of the veggies (chop, if desired).
- Blend soup with an immersion blender (or in portions using a regular blender). Set the Instant Pot back to “Saute.”
- Whisk together cream and flour in a small bowl and stir into soup until smooth. Stir in cheeses until smooth and add remaining vegetables before serving.
In the Crock Pot:
- Cook carrots and onion in butter in a pan until soft. Transfer to a Crockpot and add carrots, broccoli, broth, and seasonings.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or 2 on high. Remove one cup of the veggies (chop, if desired).
- Blend soup with an immersion blender (or in portions using a regular blender).
- Whisk together cream and flour in a small bowl until smooth. Add cream mixture to soup until combined.
- Stir in cheeses until smooth and add remaining vegetables before serving.
Keep broccoli and cheddar soup covered in the refrigerator up to 4 days. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave. Freeze in zip top bags or stasher bags with the date labeled on them for up to 6 weeks.
Other Easy Soup Recipes!
- Pumpkin Soup – 15 minute prep.
- Vegetable Soup – healthy and delicious.
- Tortellini Soup – ready in under 30 minutes.
- Turkey Noodle Soup – hot and hearty.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 cup carrot diced
- ½ onion diced
- 3 cups fresh broccoli chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or to taste
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 ½ cups light cream
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese *, shredded, plus more for garnish
- ⅓ cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese shredded
- In a large dutch oven or pot on medium heat, add butter, carrots, and onion and cook 3 minutes, or until onion is soft. Add broccoli, chicken broth, thyme, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Simmer 8 minutes, or until broccoli has softened.
- Remove 1 cup of vegetables and set aside. Chop if desired.
- Blend remaining soup mixture with an immersion blender. On medium high heat, bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, add flour to a small bowl and add cream, a little at a time, whisking together until smooth.
- When soup reaches a boil, whisk in flour and cream mixture. Continue whisking for 3-4 minutes, until thick and bubbling.
- Remove from heat. Add cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, and reserved chopped vegetables.
- Serve immediately.
- Refrigerate soup in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- Reheat on the stovetop on low heat.
- Freeze in zip top bags or stasher bags with the date labeled for up to 6 weeks.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!