For the best Avocado Toast, look no further than this simple recipe that is also super easy to make!
Trending amongst hipsters everywhere, avocado toast has quickly become a fashionably healthy food favorite. But the truth is, open-faced avocado toast sandwiches have been around for ages. Also known as a superfood for its healthy fat and fiber content, avocados have a mild, nutty flavor that goes well with all kinds of flavor profiles. So go ahead and spread some mashed avocado on your favorite toast, season, and enjoy. (And post a few pics of that photo-worthy avocado toast, too!)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Avocado Toast recipe to your BREAKFAST Board!
Best Avocado Toast
- Avocado toast recipes that have a little ‘zhoosh’ to liven them up are the best! So choose simple toppings that add flavor, color, and texture.
- Also known as ‘smash toast’ avocado toast is not only easy and affordable, it’s also portable enough for breakfast, lunch, or an anytime snack!
- Prepare an avocado brunch board (cutting board arranged with toppings) and let everyone DIY their own masterpiece! Then serve it with a tangy Greek Salad, and a pitcher of fresh smoothies or tasty Lemonade. A pitcher of fresh Mimosas is also a fun and delicious idea!
Ingredients & Variations
Avocado toast is so popular because it’s super versatile and also so delicious!
BREAD – Slices of bread that work well for avocado toast range from Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread to thick slices of Sourdough. Try toasting the bread to keep it firm enough to hold the avocado and toppings.
AVOCADO – Choose avocados that are soft and ripe, which can then be mashed or arranged in thin slices on the toast. Finely chopped kale, spinach, or pureed sweet potatoes or beans can be mixed in with the avocado for a hint of flavor and a boost of nutrition! And Hummus is also a great way to extend the avocado mixture.
SEASONINGS – While a swipe of garlic over the toast is totally optional, it really adds to the flavor of avocado toast! Everything bagel seasoning has the right combination of savory and salty, and is perfect to use on anything from avocado toast to baked potatoes to popcorn! Looking for a new, tex-mex twist on avocado toast? Why not mix in some Fajita Seasoning and garnish with Instant Pot Pickled Jalapenos.
How to Make Avocado Toast
For a quick and healthy snack, there’s nothing like a piece of tasty, tangy toast made the easy way!
- Toast bread and rub with fresh garlic (optional).
- Mash avocado on toast and season (per recipe below).
- Drizzle with olive oil (if desired), then sprinkle with lemon juice and chopped parsley.
What to Put on Avocado Toast
Anything goes with avocado toast! Strips of Crispy Bacon, Smoked Salmon or salmon lox, thinly sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, and red onion, or some delish Smoked Tomatoes are all great topping ideas. Or try adding Restaurant Style Salsa for an even more zesty flavor profile. Whether fried, poached, hard-boiled, or even Smoked, sliced eggs are sure to be another popular topping! And freshly chopped parsley or cilantro, sliced green onions, and alfalfa sprouts all make delicious garnishes. Plus don’t forget the parmesan cheese and cracked black pepper!
More Sandwich and Avocado Ideas
- Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich – a classic.
- Open Faced Roast Beef Sandwich – a hot Italian sandwich.
- Easy Homemade Guacamole – quick and easy
- Fresh Guacamole With Tomatoes – creamy and nutty.
- 2 slices bread any variety
- 1 avocado
- 1 clove garlic cut in half (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon everything bagel seasoning or to taste (or ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt and ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper)
- ½ teaspoon olive oil good quality, or to taste, optional
- lemon juice fresh, optional
- ½-1 teaspoon parsley or other fresh herbs, finely chopped, optional garnish
- Toast bread to your liking.
- Meanwhile, cut avocado in half and remove the pit.
- When toast is ready and warm, rub with cut side of the garlic if desired.
- Scoop half of the avocado with a spoon and place on 1 slice of toast. Mash with a fork to spread. Repeat with the other avocado and toast.
- Sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning (or salt and pepper).
- If desired, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with lemon juice, and sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
Recipe from Spend With Pennies