Upscale Asian-fusion recipes are all the rage now and this Sweet Chili Roasted Chicken follows suit with this twist on a simple oven roasted chicken recipe.
These bright, spicy ingredients are what make sweet chili chicken a main dish masterpiece. Oven-baked and fork-tender chicken is glazed with a sweet chili sauce, ginger, garlic, and soy sauce that coats the crispy skin and infuses the meat with a sweet/spicy flavor. Easy enough to make for everyday meals yet impressive enough for guests, this whole roasted chicken recipe will be a go-to all year long.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Sweet Chili Roasted Chicken recipe to your DINNER Board!
Sweet Chili Roast Chicken
- Originally made popular by McDonald’s, sweet chili sauce is a balanced blend of tomato, chili, and garlic that is a versatile condiment and a dipping sauce.
- This homemade recipe uses a premade red chili sauce made with Thai peppers and allows for sweet or spicy adjustments to suit your needs.
- Stir into mayonnaise for a Spicy Chili Aioli or add to a basic vinaigrette like Vinaigrette Caesar Salad Dressing Recipe, or spice up a homemade Creamy Tomato Soup.
- Use as a condiment to brush on burgers, hot dogs, corn on the cob, potato wedges, or cook into white rice for a spicy side. Shred chicken away from the carcass and keep warm in a slow cooker with the extra glaze when cooking for a crowd.
What’s in Sweet Chili Chicken?
This oven roasted chicken recipe has so much room for variations, it’s like a new recipe every time!
CHICKEN: For this recipe, choose a fresh, whole chicken with the skin on. Remember to remove anything from the cavity. To make sweet chili roasted chicken as an appetizer, use fresh raw breasts, wings, drumsticks, or thighs.
GLAZE: The jar of sweet chili sauce does most of the work here, but feel free to tweak the other ingredients for a glaze that is less or more hot or sweet. Extra red chili flakes will add a spicy kick and maple syrup or honey will make the glaze sweeter. Always include a splash of lemon or lime juice to balance out the flavors.
How to Make Sweet Chili Chicken
This sweet chicken is just a slight variation on how the traditional roast chicken.
- Whisk together all of the sauce ingredients.
- Tie legs and wings close to the body with kitchen twine (also referred to as trussing the chicken)
- Brush glaze over chicken and marinate.
- Roast the chicken as per the recipe below.
- Allow the chicken to rest before slicing and serving.
PRO TIP: Cook any leftover sauce on the stove untxil it is thickened. Use as an extra sauce on the side.
In the Instant Pot: Truss and saute whole chicken. Brush with glaze. Place chicken on a trivet and cook on high 6 minutes per pound. Let the steam naturally release, check the internal temperature of the chicken before removing. Allow chicken to rest before slicing.
What Goes with Sweet Chili Chicken?
Here’s a list of Asian-themed sides that go great with sweet chili roasted chicken: Glazed Sweet Potatoes, Oven Roasted Cauliflower, Oven Roasted Asparagus, Creamy Coleslaw, or use the sauce to dip fried Wonton Crisps.
What to Do with Leftovers
- Leftover chicken can be kept in the refrigerator up to 4 days. Meanwhile, shred the chicken and use to top a salad, add to a soup or a stir fry. Or reheat in the microwave and add to a sandwich or a wrap.
- Freeze portions in zippered bags for up to 4 weeks.
Other Chicken Recipes!
- Air Fryer Shake n Bake Chicken – just 5 minute prep.
- Chicken Fajitas – always a hit!
- Crack Chicken Casserole – full of flavor.
- Instant Pot Pesto Chicken and Red Potatoes – a full meal.
Sweet Chili Roasted Chicken
- 3-4 pound whole chicken
- parsley optional, for garnish
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients for the Sweet Chili Glaze.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry. Tuck wings behind chicken, tie legs together*, and place chicken, breast side up, into a roasting pan. Brush Sweet Chili Glaze on chicken and allow to marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes**.
- Preheat oven to 375°F and place rack in the center.
- Roast chicken, basting after one hour of baking. (Discard remaining glaze, or set aside to cook per below to serve with the chicken.) Check the temperature, continuing to bake until the chicken thigh reaches 165°F (about 15 more minutes)***.
- Remove from the oven and place the chicken on a platter. Allow to rest for about 15 minutes before carving and serving.
Optional: Cook Sweet Chili Glaze for serving
- While chicken is roasting or resting, add remaining glaze to a small saucepan. On medium heat, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve with chicken (warm or room temperature).
**Chicken can be covered and marinated overnight. Rest at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking.
*** If the chicken starts to get too browned, loosely tent the area with foil. I added an open foil tent at the one hour mark and it was perfect!
Can replace sweet chili sauce with ¼ cup sriracha and ¼ cup honey or maple syrup Nutrition information includes 8 Tablespoons Sweet Chili Glaze used for glazing the chicken
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
Recipe adapted from Manitoba Chicken