Shake n Bake Chicken cooks up quick and easy in the air fryer, for a crispy and delish entree!
Shake ‘n Bake is a one-stop seasoning and breading mixture that makes chicken taste extra delicious! And cooking it in the air fryer makes this a winning combination. Homemade fried chicken is lunch, dinner, or picnic-ready in no time at all. There’s no need to deep fry when the air fryer is so easy to use. And Shake n’ Bake saves time, money, and makes cleanup a breeze! Why not try making it for dinner tonight?
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Air Fryer Shake n Bake Chicken recipe to your ENTREES Board!
Air Fryer Shake ‘n Bake Chicken
- Shake ‘n Bake makes preparing chicken quick and easy with an instant, savory breading already in a bag, ready for shaking. And the air fryer cooks everything with less fat which means fewer calories.
- Shake ‘n Bake has been around for generations and comes in a variety of flavors for making everything from chicken to pork, and fish to veggies taste delicious! It’s a savory seasoned breadcrumb coating that comes with its own bag for ‘shaking’ the coating onto meat before baking!
- This crowd-pleasing recipe gets crispy fried chicken on the picnic or potluck table in no time! Make in batches and keep them warm in the oven until ready to serve.
- Slice Shake ‘n Bake chicken and serve it with some Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes, or slice and top a Kale Salad. Use leftovers to make a tasty Ranch Chicken Salad. Nothing goes better with fried chicken than classic salads like this Chickpea Pasta Salad or a tangy Lemon Vinaigrette Potato Salad.
Ingredients and Variations
CHICKEN – Boneless chicken breasts are the chicken of choice for this recipe, however, drumsticks, thighs, or tenders will also work. How long to cook will depends on the size of the pieces, so refer to the air fryer guide for exact temps and times. Choose pieces of similar size so they cook at the same rate.
SEASONING – Shake ‘n Bake is ready to use, but for an extra kick, add some taco or chile seasoning or even some red chile powder. Adding a little grated parmesan cheese will make the outside even crispier!
How to Make Shake n Bake Chicken in the Air Fryer
The air fryer takes shake and bake chicken to a whole new level of deliciousness, and it’s so quick and easy to do:
- Moisten chicken and then shake each piece separately in the bag of seasoned breadcrumbs.
- Lay the pieces in the prepared air fryer and spray with oil or add a pat of butter.
- Cook chicken, (as per recipe instructions below), until chicken reaches 165°F. Let chicken rest before serving or slicing.
PRO TIP: A meat thermometer is indispensable for chicken recipes to prevent under or over-cooking. Always test for doneness by inserting a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the meat, away from any bones.
Air Fried Chicken Tips & Tricks
- Always preheat the air fryer before adding food to the basket or tray. The initial blast of hot air crisps the outside of the food while keeping the inside moist and tender.
- For an extra juicy Shake ‘n Bake chicken, use mayonnaise, buttermilk, or a beaten egg to moisten the chicken breasts before the breading stage.
- Keep the skin on for this recipe so the breading can adhere properly and chicken stays extra juicy and flavorful.
How to Store
Keep leftover Shake ‘n Bake chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days until ready to use again. Serve cold over a salad or reheat in the air fryer. It’s also possible to reheat chicken in a skillet on the stove, or chop and add to a stir fry, omelet, or wrap. For best results, portions can be frozen in zippered bags with the date labeled on the outside for up to 10 weeks.
Other Delish Recipes!
- Air Fryer Roast Turkey Breast – cooked to perfection.
- Air Fryer Chicken Breast – deliciously seasoned.
- Shake N Bake Pork Chops In The Air Fryer – 5 minute prep.
- Air Fryer Buttermilk Fried Chicken – tender and juicy.
Air Fryer Shake n Bake Chicken Breasts
- 4 boneless chicken breasts approximately 2 pounds
- water to rinse and moisten the chicken breasts
- 1 packet Shake N Bake coating mix about 2.5 ounces
- olive oil spray or butter
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F.
- Rinse and moisten chicken breasts with water.
- Add Shake N Bake to a bag and shake the chicken breasts, one at a time, to coat. Place chicken breasts on a plate as they are coated. Discard remaining coating.
- Line air fryer basket with parchment paper. Space out coated chicken breasts in the basket. Spray each top gently with olive oil or add a small pat of butter (about ½-1 teaspoon).
- Lower air fryer temperature to 380°F and cook chicken for 10 minutes.
- Flip chicken, spray gently with olive oil (or add a small pat of butter), and cook for 5-9 minutes, or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F. Do not overcook, remove each piece as it is cooked through.
- Allow chicken to rest for 5 minutes.
- Cook times may vary due to size of the chicken breast and also the type of air fryer.
- It is a good idea to use a thermometer to ensure chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- An 8 ounce chicken breasts cooked in 19 minutes.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.