Flank Steak Tacos make a hearty and flavorful meal that is perfect served any time of year!
The steak is made with a spicy lime flank steak marinade, so every bite is tender, juicy, and packed with south-of-the-border flair! They are delicious served as a light dinner, a quick and easy lunch, or as an addition to a Mexican inspired buffet table. Why not make a double portion of flank steak, and use the leftovers to meal prep steak tacos all week long. Save time and money with this super easy recipe and affordable beef option.
Flavorful Flank Steak Tacos
- Make tasty street tacos in just a few steps with this recipe using your choice of flour or corn tortillas and a fresh and flavorful selection of toppings!
- The flank steak taco marinade infuses bold and delicious citrus, savory, and spicy seasonings for an unforgettable flavor!
- Keep cooked strips of flank steak warm in the Crock Pot or Instant Pot and create a festive DIY street taco bar where everyone can help themselves!
- Serve with some Mexican elote or a fresh black bean corn salad, some cold cervezas or a pitcher of strawberry margaritas!
STEAK: Flank steak has a rectangular shape with less marbling than other cuts of beef, but with the right marinade and proper slicing technique, it comes out tender, juicy, and filled with flavor. Skirt steak is another lean option that’s often used interchangeably with flank, so don’t hesitate to use either. Try adding this DIY seasoning blend to the marinade or use it as a rub, if desired.
TORTILLAS: Corn tortillas are a favorite, but flour tortillas work well too. Why not crush up tortilla chips and add some extra lettuce for a crunchy taco salad?
How to Cook Flank Steak for Tacos
Follow a few simple instructions for the best tender grilled steak (refer to this grilled flank steak recipe)
- Add marinade ingredients to a zippered bag. Add flank steak and refrigerate. PRO TIP: Marinate steak for at least two hours or overnight for best results.
- Prepare toppings.
- Place marinated flank steak on the grill and cook to desired doneness using an instant-read meat thermometer, flipping and brushing with extra marinade as it cooks. NOTE: The internal temperature of flank steak should be 125°F for rare and 130°F for medium-rare flank steak.
- Remove the steak from the grill, cover with foil and allow to rest (the meat will continue to cook a bit, referred to as carryover cooking).
- Heat flour or corn tortillas on a gas stovetop or electric burner until they are soft and browned on both sides. Add desired toppings, a squeeze of lime and chopped cilantro to finish.
How to Cut Flank Steak
Before slicing grilled flank steak, look at the direction which the meat fibers run and cut against them at a 45° angle. This breaks down the fibers for slices that are tender and easy to chew.
A Mexican inspired dinner has never been easier or more fun! Set out a spread and let everyone build their own!
- Veggies: Shredded lettuce, cabbage slaw, diced tomatoes, avocados, onions, peppers bring flavor and texture to these tacos.
- Sauces: Salsa, classic guacamole, guacamole with tomatoes, or smoked tomato guacamole are all flavorful and delicious sauce options. Don’t forget the sour cream!
- Cheese: Mexican blend, cheddar, Monterey Jack, or crumbled cotija are all delicious.
- Toppings: Sliced jalapenos, black olives, and green chiles are just the beginning. Use your imagination for unique taco variations.
Tips for the Best Tacos
Keep flank steak taco ingredients separate in covered containers and build tacos, as desired.
Grilled flank steak will stay fresh for up to 4 days in the refrigerator and portions can be frozen in zippered bags for up to 1 month.
Add leftover flank steak to enchiladas, omelets, quesadillas, or even a Mexican lasagna.
Tasty South-Of-The-Border Inspired Favs!
- Easy Chicken Enchiladas – zesty and delish.
- Stuffed Poblano Peppers – with sausage and rice.
- Chicken Taco Soup – a comforting soup.
- Creamy Chicken Enchiladas – just 20 minute prep.
Flank Steak Tacos
- 1 pound flank steak
- 16 street tacos corn tortillas *, white or yellow, or 8 taco corn tortillas
Toppings, as desired:
- 2 cups lettuce arugula, red leaf, or your favorite lettuce. Tear or cut large leaves.
- 1-2 cups cheese shredded, or crumbled cotija
- 1 medium tomato diced
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted, and thinly sliced
- ½ cup sour cream or crema
- ¼ cup sliced jalapenos pickled, jarred, or fresh
- ¼-½ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- Marinate and grill flank steak (see Grilled Flank Steak Recipe).
- While steak is marinating, prepare desired toppings.
- Once steak is cooked and has rested, slice it into ¼-½ inch slices across the grain, and at a 45° angle from top to bottom. Cut larger strips in half if desired (or they can be folded when added to the tacos).
- On a gas stovetop or electric burner, heat and brown tortillas. Using metal tongs, flip each tortilla a couple of times to brown and heat through.
- Add steak & toppings to the warm tortillas, squeeze with a lime wedge and enjoy!
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
REPIN this Flank Steak Tacos recipe!