This Chicken Souvlaki Recipe is gourmet-level delicious, but it’s so easy to prepare.
Everyone will love this Greek souvlaki chicken skewers recipe. Tender bites of marinated chicken and onions kebabs are grilled to tender perfection in minutes. The flavors are just perfect for a summer barbecue or a family brunch. Plus it’s so easy to find the perfect side dishes to go with chicken souvlaki. Enjoy it with potatoes and a salad, or eat Mediterranean style and have simple but delicious low-carb vegetables as a side dish. This simple recipe is sure to become a traditional family favorite.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Chicken Souvlaki recipe to your MAIN DISH Board!
What is Chicken Souvlaki?
- A perfect recipe for quick and easy grilled dinners! It is light on calories, loaded with nutrition and delicious flavor!
- Prep and marinate ahead of time, then refrigerate chicken souvlaki for up to 24 hours before cooking!
- Make this light and tasty recipe and add it to pita bread, gyro wraps, or as a salad topper!
Ingredients & Variations
CHICKEN: Cut boneless, skinless chicken breasts into equal-sized pieces so they grill at the same rate. Other proteins to try are cooked frozen meatballs (thawed) and cubes of tofu for a meatless kebab!
SEASONINGS: A little garlic and oregano with some lemon zest and oil makes the perfect marinade and gives Souvlaki skewers their bright flavors! For variation and a different flavor profile try fajita seasoning or this excellent jerk seasoning.
EXTRAS: Thread cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, Brussels sprouts halves, and thick slices of zucchini and yellow squash along with the chicken and onions.
How to Make Chicken Souvlaki
Delicious savory souvlaki chicken skewers are easy to make:
- Marinate all ingredients in a zippered bag for at least 4 hours. Soak wooden skewers in water for 1 hour.
- Thread chicken and onions onto skewers, as desired.
- Cook on an oiled grate or grill pan turning skewers frequently (per recipe below) or until chicken is cooked through and reaches 165°F.
- Alternately, roast in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and reaches 165°F. Place the skewers under the broiler to get the edges of the meat and onions golden brown.
What to Serve with Chicken Souvlaki?
Souvlaki chicken skewers are especially delicious with a sauces such as tzatziki, a yogurt sauce, or your favorite dipping mustard. Why not make a tangy caprese pasta salad, Greek salad, orzo pasta salad, hummus, and a greek pizza to keep with a Mediterranean style theme for a dinner party?
Keep leftover souvlaki chicken covered in the refrigerator and reheat skewers in the microwave, or wrapped with foil in the oven. Serve as is or add to a stir fry with rice or pasta. For best results, freeze portions by removing the meat and onions from the skewers and placing them in zippered bags for up to 4 weeks. Thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
Other Easy And Delicious Recipes!
- Melt In Your Mouth Chicken – tender and juicy!
- Stuffed Poblano Peppers – incredible flavor.
- Sweet Chili Roasted Chicken – with a delicious glaze.
- Grilled Shrimp Skewers – simple to make.
- Add lemon juice, zest, olive oil, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper to a large zip-top bag. Mix ingredients together and add chicken and onions.
- Gently massage bag to ensure chicken and onions are covered. Refrigerate for 4 hours, or overnight.
- Soak 8 wooden skewers in water (at least 1 hour).
- Thread chicken and onions onto skewers.
- Cook on an oiled grill pan preheated to medium (up to medium high) for 10 to 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and reaches 165°F. Turn skewers frequently.
- To Cook in the Oven:
- Move rack to the position above the center. Preheat oven to 450˚F. Line a baking tray with foil paper.
- Place skewers on the baking tray and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Broil for 1 minute to brown if desired (watch carefully if using wooden skewers).
- Make sure chicken is cooked to an internal temperature of 165˚F for safe consumption. Use a meat thermometer to be sure of temperature.
- Just over 50% of the marinade was used and nutrition was calculated accordingly.
- Refrigerate leftovers for 3-4 days.
- Reheat in the microwave or wrapped with foil in the oven.
- Remove meat from skewers before placing in a zippered bag to freeze for up to 4 weeks.
- Thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Very slightly adapted from Spend With Pennies