Greek Pizza adds some pizazz to pizza night! It is a delicious alternative to the classic pizza recipe.
Similar to grilled Greek-style pizza served in restaurants, this is the best homemade version. It can be made on a pizza stone, in the oven, or on the grill, and the crust comes out crispy and golden. Top with nutritious Greek vegetables like olives, artichokes, and red peppers, then crown it with salty feta and mozzarella cheese. Who doesn’t love it when pizza is on the menu?
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Greek Pizza recipe to your DINNER Board!
Perfect Greek Pizza
- Pizza is always a favorite option for lunch or dinner. Add a side salad and you have a tasty and balanced meal!
- This Greek Pizza recipe has flavorful ingredients that pack a nutritional punch. Red peppers and black olives are a good source of vitamin C, while artichokes are a source of fiber and antioxidants.
- Recipes that are easily customizable are great for anyone who has specific taste or diet preferences. And this Greek Pizza recipe is the perfect vessel to do just that! Pile on extra veggies of your choice, or add some chicken. The flavor combinations are endless!
What’s in Greek Pizza?
DOUGH Try making homemade pizza dough. Homemade pizza dough needs rising time, so make it in advance, even the day before! Always allow the dough to come to room temperature so it’s easy to stretch. Cold pizza dough just isn’t happy being pulled out of its comfortable little ball!
SAUCE The secret to any Greek or Italian dish is the sauce. Canned pizza sauce works well, but so does a good batch of homemade pizza sauce or some simple tomatoes and balsamic vinegar like is sometimes used for homemade margherita pizza. And don’t forget the oregano! It is the classic spice in almost every Greek dish.
VEGETABLES What makes this recipe truly Greek is the toppings! The canned variety of artichokes tastes the best, but marinated can also be used. They are more flavorful, so it may be necessary to adjust the seasonings. Canned roasted peppers also come in different varieties. Make sure to purchase the sweet marinated red peppers and not the spicy kind!
CHEESE The final touch is the cheese. Who could forget the cheese? Ordinary feta purchased at the grocery store will do. However, real Greek feta in brine, made with sheep or goats’ milk, is much more flavorful. And a good mozzarella is the crowning glory of any pizza! Pre-shredded varieties work well and save preparation time.
EXTRAS Need more protein and calories? Add pre-cooked shredded chicken or even sausage to the pizza along with the vegetables. Try Greek-style meat like Pastorma if you can find it. If not, then some tangy or salty cured meat like thin sliced ham or pastrami can work.
How to Make Greek Pizza
Gourmet pizza can be made easily at home; it just takes a few steps:
- Warm up the pizza stone in the oven, stretch & bake the dough (per the recipe below).
- Spread pizza sauce on browned side of the crust.
- Sprinkle with canned chopped Greek vegetables and cheese, add olives.
- Bake again and enjoy!
Tips & Tricks for Perfect Pizza
- Don’t have any yeast for the homemade dough? Try using flour and yogurt! The crust may not be as puffy, but it will have a deliciously crispy flatbread taste.
- Feel free to use premade pizza dough to save time. Even store-bought naan bread can make an amazing base for Greek pizza!
- And don’t worry about stretching the dough so it is perfectly round. Oddly shaped pizza crusts have a lovely homemade charm. The pizza will still be devoured!
- If you don’t have a pizza stone, any pan can be used—just sprinkle a light dusting of cornmeal on the bottom to keep the pizza from sticking.
Isn’t it great when pizza is leftover the next day? It is such a great and easy lunch to bring to work! Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for about a week.
One of my favorite ways to reheat pizza is in a frying pan! Heat on about medium, with a lid on to warm up the cheese too. It can be reheated in the microwave for about a minute, depending on microwave power. Or warm it up in the oven at 350°F until the cheese is melty and hot.
Give it a try! It may just become a new favorite for pizza night.
Other Easy Dinner Ideas To Try!
- Chicken Broccoli Bake – a complete meal
- Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich – so tasty!
- Hamburger Soup Recipe – a delicious and hearty soup
- Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage – super flavorful dinner!
- Place pizza stone in oven and preheat to 450°F.
- Sprinkle flour on the work area and roll pizza dough until about ¼” thick (try for a 12 inch circle, but any shape will work). Brush both sides with olive oil.
- Place pizza crust on the hot pizza stone. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until browned on the bottom.
- Remove crust from oven, flip over so that the brown bottom is on top, and place on work surface.
- Spread with pizza sauce, leaving a ½” edge. Sprinkle with oregano. Add artichokes & peppers. Sprinkle with mozzarella, feta cheese, and olives.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and golden brown.
- Allow to rest 5 minutes before slicing. Garnish with additional olives and feta cheese if desired and serve.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.