It’s so easy to make a homemade pumpkin pie from fresh pumpkin!
Sugar pumpkins are super sweet and less fibrous, making them perfect for making smooth and creamy homemade pumpkin pie! Using just a few seasonings, a pre-made crust and a super simple method, make pumpkin pie without that store bought can of puree! Fresh sugar pumpkins make the most healthy and delicious pie for holiday occasions like Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner! Make the puree ahead and freeze it to make pumpkin inspired desserts through the holiday season and all year long!
Homemade Pumpkin Pie
- It is easier than you think to make a pumpkin pie from scratch! Simply roast the pumpkins until the flesh is soft, then whisk in a few extra ingredients that are probably already on hand and bake it into a ready-made shell. It really is that easy!
- This pumpkin pie recipe is the ultimate Thanksgiving dessert. A spiced pumpkin filling is so easy to make and so tasty compared to a store bought pumpkin pie.
- Pumpkin pie can be made up to 2 days ahead of time and stored in the fridge. Serve chilled or gently warm it in the oven.
Ingredients and Variations
PUMPKIN: Fresh pumpkin puree is called for in this recipe, but a canned pumpkin or puree can also be used in a pinch. Use leftover pumpkin puree in pumpkin bread or pumpkin pie muffins.
BATTER: Eggs, flour, brown sugar, and heavy cream give structure, and improve the flavor of the freshly roasted pumpkin puree as it bakes.
SEASONINGS: Pumpkin pie spice and a little brown sugar and heavy cream give fresh pumpkin the flavor profile it needs to be a perfect homemade pie.
How to Make Pumpkin Pie from Fresh Pumpkin
Just follow these easy steps!
- Bake sweet pumpkin halves cut side down on a baking sheet until the pumpkin is fork tender. S
- Scoop the flesh from the pumpkin, then process until smooth with an immersion blender or in a food processor.
- In a large bowl, mix pumpkin puree with the other batter ingredients and pour into a pre-made pie crust, and bake.
For the best results, cool and and then refrigerate overnight. Serve with whipped cream or caramel sauce.
Tips for the Perfect Pie
- A sprinkle of flour and sugar on the crust before adding the batter keeps the crust from getting soggy.
- Pumpkin pie will be a little bit jiggly when it is done, but it should not be wet or wiggly.
- Overcooking can cause cracks so once cooked, remove it from the oven and place on a cooling rack. If cracks occur, simply cover them with whipped cream and no one will know!
- Store homemade pumpkin pie in the fridge since it is made with milk and eggs (and no preservatives). It will keep about 4 days in the fridge.
- A baked pumpkin pie can be made ahead of time and frozen. Bake as directed below and cool completely. Cover well with plastic wrap and freeze.
Delish Holiday Favs To Serve All Year!
- Dark Chocolate Pecan Pie – decadent
- Pumpkin Pie Crunch – an easy dessert
- Cranberry Pear Pie -perfectly festive!
- Cherry Pie – a favorite
- Best Key Lime Pie Recipe – for summer
Pumpkin Pie From Fresh Pumpkin
- 1 sugar pumpkin about 4 pounds* (3 cups of puree, save the rest for another use)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1 Tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 9” pie shell unbaked
- Preheat oven to 325˚F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Cut pumpkin in half and remove seeds (save to make roasted pumpkin seeds).
- Place pumpkin cut side down on baking tray. Bake 35-45 minutes or until pumpkin is fork tender and cooked through. Cool. Remove pumpkin flesh from the skin. Puree pumpkin using an immersion blender or food processor.
- Place oven rack on the lowest rack and preheat to 425˚F.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs. Whisk 3 cups pumpkin puree into the eggs, then whisk the brown sugar in. Add flour, pumpkin spice, vanilla, and salt to the mixture and whisk again. Whisk in heavy cream until combined, then pour into unbaked pie shell**.
- Bake at 425˚F for 15 minutes, then reduce temperature to 350˚F. Bake for 35-45 additional minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely and refrigerate until ready to serve, overnight if possible. Serve with whipped cream.
- *The pumpkin used in this recipe was 4 pounds 11 ounces and made 4 cups of pumpkin puree.
- **There may be a little extra filling depending on the pie crust size. Pop it into a greased glass dish and microwave for about 4-5 minutes to enjoy a little sneak-a-peek of the pie!
- Sprinkle a little flour and sugar on the crust before adding the batter to keep the crust from becoming soggy.
- Do no overcook the pie as it can cause cracks in the surface. If cracks do occur, cover them with whipped cream decoration.
- Refrigerate homemade pumpkin pie, covered with plastic wrap or in a container, for about 4 days.
- Bake ahead, cool completely and freeze, or freeze the leftovers! It comes out perfectly from the freezer, simply thaw in the refrigerator.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
REPIN this recipe for Pumpkin Pie From Fresh Pumpkin!