Few desserts are as decadently delicious as this Dark Chocolate Pecan Pie recipe!
Dark chocolate and pecans are swirled into a homemade caramel sauce and baked in a pre-made pie crust for a show stopping dessert that everyone loves. Add an extra drizzle of caramel sauce for a photo-worthy, bake sale-winning dessert. Or serve this caramel pecan pie with ice cream or whipped cream – both are delicious! Make this dessert for the holidays or any time of year. And be warned, there is a very good chance leftovers won’t be a problem.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Dark Chocolate Pecan Pie recipe to your BAKING Board!
Favorite Dessert Recipe
- Why wait for a special occasion to make this lusciously sinful salted caramel pecan pie? This recipe is so quick and easy, it makes any home cook look like a professional baker.
- Double up on the pie crust and press it into a baking dish to make chocolate pecan pie bars. They are easy to wrap and pop in a backpack or briefcase for a special midday treat.
Ingredients & Variations
PIE CRUST: Pre-made pie crusts are top quality, so there’s no need to bake one from scratch unless you want to. Unbaked pie crusts are found in the refrigerator or freezer sections, while graham cracker crusts are found in the baking aisle.
PIE FILLING: Quality ingredients = quality results. Real butter, sugars, and cream guarantee a moist filling that melts in your mouth. If possible, avoid margarine or milk for best results. Add some bourbon or rum extract for a truly southern-style pecan pie.
SAUCE: Caramel sauce is so easy to make but if time is short, a jar of good quality caramel sauce will do in a pinch!
How to Make a Chocolate Pecan Pie with Salted Caramel
The combination of dark chocolate, salted caramel, and crunchy pecans is what makes this a best-in-class recipe!
- Prepare caramel sauce and cool.
- Mix some of the caramel with eggs, pecans, and chocolate.
- Pour pie filling into prepared crust and bake as per the recipe below.
- Cool completely, slice and serve with remaining caramel sauce, whipped cream or ice cream.
Tips for the Best Pie
Use pie crust shields, or strips of aluminum foil laid over the crust, to prevent the edges from browning too much. For extra crunchy nuts and a more intense flavor, lightly roast the pecans in a small, dry saute pan until they are just barely browned and fragrant. Make caramel sauce in advance and store it in the refrigerator, then simply warm in the microwave before using. Use eggs and heavy cream that have come to room temperature for ease of use and best results.
Delicious Homemade Desserts!
- Banana Donuts with Chocolate Glaze – baked, not fried.
- Chocolate Mint Truffle Cookies – decadent!
- Easy Apple Crisp – a classic homemade dessert.
- Peach Dump Cake – quick and easy.
- No Bake Red Velvet Cake Balls – delicious.
- Pumpkin Pie From Fresh Pumpkin – using roasted pumpkin
Dark Chocolate Pecan Pie
- ½ cup butter
- ¾ cup light corn syrup
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 ½ cups pecans halves (chopped will work too)
- 6 ounces dark chocolate chopped
- 1 pie crust unbaked, in pie plate or tin
To Make Caramel
- In a medium saucepan on low heat, melt butter.
- Add corn syrup, sugars, water, and salt. Increase heat to medium to bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat to maintain a low boil (near simmer). Cook uncovered, stirring frequently, for about 30 minutes or until mixture has reduced to about 1¾ cups.
- Remove from heat and add in cream and vanilla. Cool caramel for 30 minutes.
- While caramel is cooling, preheat oven to 350˚F.
For The Pie
- Measure 1 ¼ cup of the caramel and add to a large bowl (reserving remaining caramel for serving).
- Add eggs and pecans and mix into the caramel. Add chocolate chunks and gently stir to combine.
- Pour caramel pecan filling into pie crust. Use pie crust shield (or strips of aluminum foil) to cover the crust edges.
- Bake for 25 minutes, remove pie crust shield (or foil), and bake for 20 more minutes, or until filling is set. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Slice, drizzle with remaining caramel sauce, and serve!
- Bring refrigerated ingredients to room temperature. They will blend better and cook faster.
- Roast or saute nuts for a more intense flavor and crunch.
- Use a pie shield or strips of aluminum foil to prevent pie crust from browning too much.
- Pie can be refrigerated for 3-4 days. Freeze any leftovers in an airtight container, or covered with plastic wrap for 3-4 months.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
REPIN this Dark Chocolate Pecan Pie recipe!
Recipe from Your Home Based Mom
I am making it now. I just finished the caramel sauce. I love caramel sauce. Thank you for inspiring me to make this pie.
I sure hope that you love it as much as we do Carolyn! The caramel is divine!