This is the best key lime pie recipe because it only takes 5 ingredients (including the crust)!
After one bite, you’ll be transported to someplace breezy and tropical! Plus, it’s so delicious, quick, and easy to make! Even cleanup is a breeze. Just whip lime juice, condensed milk, and egg yolks together, and bake in a buttery graham cracker shell for 10 minutes. Top with whipped cream or a simple meringue and enjoy! When it comes to sweet, refreshing pies, citrusy key lime pie can’t be beat!
What is Key Lime Pie?
- Key lime pie is an American classic dessert starring the sweet/tart, fragrant little key lime that comes from (you got it!) the Florida Keys. Also known as Mexican or West Indies limes, key limes are smaller, more yellow than green, and extra tart compared to regular limes.
- The pie was created by a cook named Aunt Sally from a custard of egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk, and a liberal amount of lime juice baked into a crust and served with a dollop of whipped cream, best served cold. No Florida vacation is complete without treating yourself to a big slice of Aunt Sally’s famous Key Lime Pie!
Best Key Lime Pie Recipe!
- Five ingredients and four steps are all it takes to make this tangy summertime treat! And it’s perfect to make ahead so the sweet-tart flavors are better blended into each cold and creamy slice!
- This easy-to-follow recipe will make any home cook feel like a master dessert chef! Even the littlest bakers can help out!
- No need to wait for seasonal summer fruits to make this tropical delight – limes are available year-round even in the chilliest of places!
Ingredients and Variations
CRUST: Graham cracker crusts are so easy to make and so versatile! For more flavor, add some ground pecans or walnuts to the mixture. In a pinch for time? Simply use a pre-made graham cracker crust.
FILLING: For the best results, use key lime juice for its superior flavor and aroma compared to regular lime juice. They’re worth the extra squeezing to get out every juicy drop for this pie. Otherwise, add some lime zest to the filling for that bright citrus flavor. Extra-large eggs will produce a fluffier pie and will be easier to whisk when they are used at room temperature.
How to Make Key Lime Pie
- Melt butter in a pie plate and add graham cracker crumbs (as per the recipe below). Press into shape in the plate (this means one less dish)!
- Bake and cool the crust.
- Whisk egg yolks and then add milk and lime juice. Pour into the pie crust and bake for 10 minutes. Chill for at least an hour or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Garnish with lime slices and serve with whipped cream.
Storing Key Lime Pie
- Keep Key lime pie covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Portions can be frozen in airtight containers for up to 1 month.
- Enjoy as a frozen dessert or thaw in the refrigerator (the pie won’t be as firm as fresh, but it will still be delicious).
Best Key Lime Pie Recipe
- 1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 2 egg yolks
- 15 ounces sweetened condensed milk 1 can
- ½ cup lime juice key lime preferred
- ½ cup whipping cream whipped
- Preheat oven to 300˚F. Combine crumbs with butter* and press into 9" pie plate.
- Bake crust for 15 minutes. Allow to cool before adding filling.
- Increase oven temperature to 350˚F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk (or beat) egg yolks until light lemon color. Stir in sweetened condensed milk and lime juice. Combine well. Once pie crust has cooled, pour filling into shell.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for at least one hour or overnight.
- Slice and serve with whipped cream.
- *Add the butter into the pie tin and pop it into the oven to melt it. One less dish to clean!
- Cover and refrigerate key lime pie for up to 4 days.
- Freeze portions in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
- Key lime pie is delicious thawed, or served frozen.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!