This is the best Banana Cream Pie recipe! Sweet and creamy, it’s an old-fashioned delight!
This easy homemade recipe makes the ultimate banana cream pie, and just in time for National Banana Cream Pie day on March 2nd! We took this classic recipe and made it a no-bake delight, perfect for topping with meringue or whipped cream.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Banana Cream Pie recipe to your DINNER Board!
Why We Love this Recipe
We’re sure we have the best banana cream pie recipe you’ll ever make! Nothing tastes better than a homemade banana cream pie for dessert or as a sweet treat in the afternoon with your favorite hot or cold beverage. Don’t make just one, make two, or even three and take to a picnic or a potluck!
Banana cream pie from scratch is super easy to make!
CUSTARD – Just make a custard with tempered egg yolks, heavy cream, sugar, and some vanilla. For a time-saving shortcut, make the custard base with an easy and heavenly banana pudding mix.
BANANAS – Custard gets poured over sliced bananas that are arranged into a pre-made pie crust and that’s all it takes!
TASTY VARIATIONS – Other pie ideas are to add toasted coconut to the custard or pour the custard into a pre-baked graham cracker or chocolate cookie crumb for a more gourmet pie. All of these variations will create a deliciously delectable pie!
How To Make It
Homemade banana cream pie doesn’t have to be complicated! There’s just a few steps involved!
- Whisk sugar, cornstarch, salt, and cream in a saucepan until hot and bubbly. Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Temper the eggs by whisking about a half cup of the heated mixture into the beaten egg yolks. Gradually add the rest of the beaten eggs to the hot mixture and bring the custard back to a boil and then simmer for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla and butter (or optional toasted coconut).
- Cover the bottom of prepared pie crust with fresh banana slices. Pour the heated custard mixture over the bananas and chill the pie for at least 4 hours or overnight. Garnish the pie with meringue or whipped cream before serving.
Tips and Tricks for Perfect Banana Cream Pie
- Always start with room temperature eggs, milk, cream, and butter. This helps to prevent the eggs from curdling or splitting when they’re added into the cooked mixture.
- If the eggs do start to curdle, immediately remove the pan from the heat and whisk the mixture vigorously. The mixture can also be strained through a fine-mesh colander. Use a spatula to press the custard through the colander, then slowly reheat and add small amounts of heavy cream and whisk until the custard is smooth again.
- Banana cream pie will keep in the refrigerator, covered with plastic wrap for about 4 days.
- Most cream or custard-based pies freeze well, however, pies with corn starch in them like this one will not thaw well. So for this reason we do not recommend freezing banana cream pie.
Other Desserts To Try!
- Ginger Rhubarb Pie– so full of flavor.
- Pumpkin Pie Crunch – easy to make.
- Cranberry Pear Pie – deliciously different.
Banana Cream Pie
- 1 single pie crust baked
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 ⅓ cups light cream or whole milk
- 4 egg yolk beaten
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 3 large bananas sliced
- 1 cup heavy cream whipped
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, salt, and cream. Whisk over medium heat until hot and bubbly*. Let boil for 1 minute and remove from heat.
- Whisk ½ cup of the hot mixture into the egg yolks a spoonful at a time until incorporated**.
- Pour the egg mixture back into the pot and whisk. Heat on medium heat, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and let cook 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and butter.
- Add sliced bananas to the pie crust. Pour warm custard over the bananas.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight. Once cooled and set, top with whipped cream.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Recipe from Spend With Pennies
REPIN this Easy Dessert Recipe!
That pie looks amazing my husband’s fav when we got married I love it too no more box for me I will definitely make it for him as a surprise thanks great job
Thank you Irene! So happy that you love this pie recipe!