Forget the bread and try this filling and flavorful Chicken Bruschetta recipe!
This quick and easy dish is as delicious as it is healthy. Chicken breasts are baked in a seasoned balsamic marinade along with basil and tomatoes, then topped with slices of creamy mozzarella cheese. This bruschetta chicken recipe makes the perfect weeknight dinner, and one that is on the table in no time at all!
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Chicken Bruschetta recipe to your MAIN DISHES Board!
What is Chicken Bruschetta?
- This delicious dish is a fresh take on an Italian restaurant classic, made in a casserole dish for easy prep, service, and clean-up. One dish does it all!
- Meal prep and serve for easy dinners and workday sandwiches. Chicken bruschetta tastes best the next day once the flavors have a chance to blend.
- In a pinch for time? Use a bag of uncooked, frozen chicken strips, a bottle of Italian dressing, and a drained can of diced tomatoes. We won’t tell!
Ingredients & Variations
CHICKEN: Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are easiest to use, but chicken legs (bone-in thigh and drumstick) will also work (add extra time for baking). Smaller chicken thighs are best if making the recipe for a crowd.
TOMATOES: Small grape or cherry tomatoes add visual appeal to this dish, but any tomatoes will do! Roma tomatoes work well because they are meaty, but experiment with a variety of colorful grape tomatoes like yellow, red, or even purple.
MARINADE: Garlic, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil season this dish perfectly! Amp up the Italian flavor with this multi-purpose seasoning mix!
CHEESE: Mozzarella is the classic choice for this recipe but crumbled feta, bleu cheese, and a liberal amount of parmesan all add flavor!
How to Make Bruschetta Chicken
Low carb and super flavorful, this bruschetta chicken is an amazing main dish.
- Place chicken and onions in a casserole dish (as per the recipe below).
- Mix garlic, vinegar, oil, and salt, then pour over chicken.
- Sprinkle with basil and top with tomatoes.
- Bake. Add optional mozzarella slices for the last while of cooking.
What to Serve with Bruschetta Chicken?
Tips & Tricks
When placing chicken breasts in the casserole dish, place the breasts on top of sliced onions to create a ‘raft.’ This infuses the chicken with flavor and keeps it from sticking to the bottom of the dish.
If adding the mozzarella cheese, place the finished dish under the broiler to melt the cheese and make it golden on top. Garnish with fresh cracked black pepper and basil.
Store leftover chicken bruschetta in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze portions in zippered bags for up to 4 weeks. Reheat in a skillet on the stovetop or in the microwave. Make an energizing work lunch by topping a bed of salad greens with leftover sliced chicken bruschetta.
Other Delish Recipes To Try!
- Easy Chicken Enchiladas – quick 20 minute prep.
- Chicken Pot Pie – a favorite recipe.
- Chicken Fajitas – zesty and full of flavor.
- Broccoli Chicken Divan – so easy, creamy and delish!
- Melt In Your Mouth Chicken – extra tender.
- 4 chicken breasts skinless boneless
- 1 cup fresh basil finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ onion chopped or sliced
- 2 cups grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes [1 pint?]
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese 4 slices, optional
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon fresh basil chiffonade optional for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375˚F. Grease a 9x13 casserole dish.
- Add chicken to casserole dish. Sprinkle with onions.
- In a small bowl, mix together garlic, vinegar, oil, and salt. Pour over chicken, then sprinkle with basil and tomatoes.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until chicken breasts reach 165˚F. If using mozzarella slices, add them after about 35 minutes of baking. Broil cheese for 1-2 minutes to brown if desired.
- Sprinkle with pepper, and additional basil for garnish.
- Serve with pasta.
- Alternately place chicken on top of onions.
- Chopped tomatoes will work in a pinch, and a variety of different colored tomatoes creates an impressive look!
- Recommended to broil the cheese a bit to make it golden on top.
- Refrigerate leftovers in a covered container for up to 4 days or freeze portions in zippered bags for up to 4 weeks.
- Reheat leftovers in a skillet on the stovetop, covered with foil in the ovenm or in the microwave.
- Slice cold leftovers and top a green salad or add to a sandwich or wrap.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!