Nothing smells or tastes better than this Beef Brisket Slow Cooker Recipe!
Our melt-in-your-mouth Slow Cooker Beef Brisket Recipe is the stuff that braised beef brisket dreams are made of! We make it with an easy and flavorful dry rub, then cook it in the Crockpot so all you have to do is set it and forget it!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Slow Cooker Beef Brisket Recipe to your DINNER Board!
Why We Love This Easy Beef Brisket Slow Cooker Recipe
Brisket is a wonderfully affordable protein that needs just a little seasoning and tenderizing to bring out the rich, beefy flavors. Our tender onion braised beef brisket is so juicy and full of flavor, it simply comes apart with a fork! Perfect for pulled beef brisket sandwiches or to add to chili, or Tex-Mex omelettes, even as a topping on pizza! We also like to serve shredded beef brisket with potatoes, carrots, and mushrooms with some dinner rolls to soak up all that savory gravy. (Don’t forget the chocolate cherry dump cake for dessert!) We think you’ll agree this is the best Crockpot beef brisket recipe you’ll ever try!
Ingredients and Variations
SEASONING The trick to a perfectly seasoned beef brisket Crockpot recipe is in the rub! We came up with the perfect spice blend that soaks right into the meat and gives it a deep, rich flavor.
BEER Traditionally, a bottle of Guinness beer is added for more depth, but a cup of red wine will do.
ONIONS The onions on the bottom of the crockpot serve as a “raft” that not only seasons the beer beef brisket but keeps it off the bottom of the slow cooker.
How to Cook Beef Brisket in Crock Pot
Some easy preparation and the best ever Crockpot Brisket can be ready for supper tonight!
- Prepare the seasoning mix, pat the brisket pieces dry and generously rub the seasoning mix into each piece of the brisket on all sides. Wrap each piece with plastic wrap and allow to sit for an hour until it reaches room temperature.
- Stack the onions on the bottom of the Crockpot. Pour in beer and water (or water mixed with onion soup mix). Place brisket pieces, fat side up, on the onions.
How Long for Beef Brisket in Slow Cooker
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for 5 to 6 hours or on low for 8 to 9 hours. Brisket should be fork tender.
- Set oven to broil and move onions and braising liquid to a deep casserole dish and place the cooked brisket pieces on top. Broil for 5 to 10 minutes or until the tops of the brisket pieces are browned.
- Slice or shred brisket on a serving platter. Add onions and then braising liquid, as desired.
- Bring braising liquid to a boil in a saucepan with some optional red wine, bbq sauce, or liquid smoke for more flavor. Serve gravy over the beef brisket or on the side.
Tips and Tricks
- If the gravy is not thick enough, make a slurry by putting a 1:1 ratio of cold water and corn starch in a jar. Shake vigorously until the slurry is smooth and slowly stir into the gravy until desired thickness is met.
- Avoid the temptation to trim the fat of the pieces of brisket before seasoning and cooking. That fat acts like an insulator that retains moisture in the meat and will cook off providing flavor to the meat and braising liquid.
- The meat can be seasoned and wrapped in advance up to one day and taken out to come to room temperature as the onions and braising liquid are being prepared.
- Cut some of the onions thick and some thin for visual appeal and to hold the brisket off the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Pulled beef brisket in the slow cooker is a leftover lover’s dream!
- Make pasta sauce by adding some tomato sauce, canned diced tomatoes, and canned mushrooms to a cup or two of the gravy for a super savory spaghetti sauce or base for a southwestern-style chili with beans and leftover brisket!
- Or, make hearty grill cheese beef brisket sandwiches, or hoagies dipped in barbecue sauce. Serve with our Oven Baked Fries, and a fun Orzo Pasta Salad.
Other Easy Recipes To Try!
- Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage – easy!
- Open Faced Roast Beef Sandwich – perfect with leftover beef.
- Smoked Beef Ribs – delicious!
- Beef Rouladen Recipe – an old classic.
- Smoked Beef Brisket Recipe – full of flavor!
Slow Cooker Beef Brisket Recipe
- 4-5 pounds untrimmed flat-cut brisket cut into 4 pieces*
- 2 medium onions thinly sliced
- 12-14 ounces beer 1 can
- 1 cup water
- kosher salt to taste
For gravy (optional):
- 2-3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 2-3 Tablespoons water
- To make rub, in a small food processor or bullet blender, finely chop garlic, olive oil, and worcestershire sauce. Add salt, brown sugar, dry mustard, black pepper, cumin, paprika, and onion powder and blend until smooth.
- Rub the four brisket pieces with the rub. Cover or wrap with plastic and let meat rest about 1 hour, until it is room temperature.
- Add onions to the bottom of slow cooker. Add beer and water. Place brisket pieces, fat side up, on top. Cover and cook 8-9 hours on low or 5-6 hours on high, until beef is fork tender.
- Preheat oven on broil.
- Move onions and braising liquid to a roasting pan and top with beef brisket. Broil 5-10 minutes, until browned.
- Slice or shred brisket and add to a serving dish. Using tongs or a slotted spoon, add onions from roasting pan into brisket and combine. Add braising liquid as needed. Add salt to taste (we find that additional salt is not needed).
- For gravy, add about 2-3 cups remaining braising liquid to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil on medium high heat.
- Mix together equal parts cornstarch and water to form a slurry. while whisking the braising liquid, add the slurry slowly, until the gravy reaches the desired consistency. (You may not need all of the slurry.)
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.