This Air Fryer Roasted Acorn Squash recipe makes a creamy, sweet, and delish side dish that’s perfect for any special occasion!
Acorn squash is a home cook’s favorite squash to make because of its unique appearance and delicately nutty flavor. And this air fryer recipe makes acorn squash that’s super tender with flesh lightly infused with brown sugar and butter. Serve it as a side dish, or as an entrée stuffed with meat, veggies, rice, or beans. There are so many options for this versatile winter squash. But the air fryer cooks it to perfection!
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Air Fryer Roasted Acorn Squash recipe to your SIDE DISHES Board!
Amazing Air Fryer Acorn Squash!
- Make fancy stuffed acorn squash recipes without even heating up the oven! So, fire up that Ninja, Corsori, or the new Emeril Lagasse French Door 360 Air Fryer and get started! PRO TIP: Always refer to the manual for the best information on cooking powers and times.
- Cooking acorn squash in the air fryer is such an easy way to make it! With minimal prep and easy cleanup, it takes mere minutes compared to baked!
- Acorn squash is an inexpensive superfood, loaded with vitamins, antioxidants, and fiber. It also works well as a lower carb switch from pasta or potatoes! Even the seeds can be roasted into a healthy snack using this recipe for Homemade Pumpkin Seeds. Kids love acorn squash, too!
Ingredients and Variations
ACORN SQUASH: Choose a dark green, heavy squash that smells sweet at the bottom and does not have any blemishes or tears in the flesh. Butternut and spaghetti squash can also be used in this recipe.
SEASONINGS: Butter and brown sugar (and an optional pinch of cayenne!) is all that’s needed to bring out the best in acorn squash. However, as a main dish, it can be spiced up a little more! Try a DIY Homemade Taco Seasoning, or Chili Seasoning blends that goes great with chicken, ground beef, or black beans and rice as a vegetarian option.
How to Cook Air Fryer Acorn Squash
Can acorn squash be cooked in the air fryer? Definitely, and it’s super easy to do in just a few steps:
- Prepare the acorn squash (per recipe below).
- Place half the butter inside each cavity.
- Sprinkle each half with remaining ingredients and place cut side up in the air fryer.
- Cook until the acorn squash is fork-tender. Serve halves as-is or cut into cubes or slices.
What Food Goes with Acorn Squash?
Because of its shape, acorn squash is a perfect vessel for so many kinds of fillings! As a vegetarian entrée, fill acorn squash with seasoned Lemon Rice, or some savory Easy Bread Stuffing. As a side, acorn squash is excellent with Prime Rib Roast, Instant Pot Pesto Chicken and Red Potatoes, or a Smoked Pork Loin.
Air fryer squash tastes better the next day when the flavors have had a chance to really blend! Keep leftover air-fried acorn squash in a covered container in the refrigerator up to 4 days or freeze in zippered bags up to 6 months. Reheat in the air fryer, or add to a Soup, a stir fry, or a smoothie!
Other Easy Air Fryer Sides!
- Air Fryer Roasted Asparagus– a tasty snack or side.
- Roasted Cauliflower In The Air Fryer – so easy to make.
- Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts – quickly made in under 30 minutes.
- Air Fryer Green Beans – simple prep, huge flavor.
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes – easy air fryer recipe.
Air Fryer Roasted Acorn Squash
- Preheat air fryer to 370˚F.
- Cut squash in half from stem to the bottom. Scrape seeds and soft membranes and discard.
- Place flesh side up and add 1 Tablespoon butter to each cavity. Sprinkle with ½ Tablespoon brown sugar, salt and pepper to taste, and cayenne pepper if using (or season once squash is cooked).
- Line air fryer with parchment paper (if desired). Add squash halves, flesh side up, to air fryer basket, and cook for 25 minutes or until the squash is fork tender.
- Serve half squash for each person.
- Refrigerate leftover air-fried acorn squash in a covered container for up to 4 days.
- Freeze squash in zippered bags for up to 6 months.
- Reheat squash in the air fryer for a few minutes.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!