Make an extra special dinner in less than 30 minutes with this easy poppyseed chicken recipe!
Poppyseed chicken is so creamy and delicious with cooked chicken, canned soup, and a handful of poppy seeds all under a crunchy topping! Bulk it up with added pasta, vegetables, or cheese. And prep is a breeze! Simply mix everything together, toss it into a casserole dish, bake and serve. This recipe is perfect for busy weeknights, but impressive enough for guests. It’s a creamy and satisfying chicken recipe that is sure to become a family favorite!
Easy Poppyseed Chicken!
- Poppyseed chicken recipe is well loved because its super quick, easy to make, creamy, yet not heavily dressed.
- Make this poppy seed chicken recipe ahead of time! Assemble everything up to 48 hours before baking (store the topping separately) and bake when ready.
- Use up leftover veggies in the fridge, and the kids won’t even notice!
- Stretch this budget-friendly dish by serving it over mashed potatoes, rice, or pasta.
Ingredients and Variations
CHICKEN: This recipe is just right for using cooked rotisserie chicken or leftovers. Swap for leftover turkey, ham, or even ground sausage.
CREAMY BASE: Campbell’s creamy soup varieties make the best foundations for sauces! Cream of chicken or mushroom, plus a cup of sour cream is all that is needed. Cream of celery or even cream of cheddar cheese will make good soup bases too. Switch out Greek yogurt for sour cream if desired.
TOPPING: Use crushed saltine, Ritz crackers or crushed cornflakes for the topping. Or save some calories and omit the topping altogether and it will still be super delicious!
ADDITIONS: Up the nutrition factor and add some frozen peas, carrots, or diced potatoes, and sneak in shredded zucchini for those veg-resistant kiddos. Sliced mushrooms, black olives, or a can of diced green chiles will make this a new dish every time!
How to Make Poppyseed Chicken
This easy recipe can be prepped and cooked in 30 minutes or less!
- Combine everything except the chicken in a large bowl (as per recipe below).
- Stir in chicken and spread in a prepared casserole dish.
- Sprinkle topping over the casserole and bake until browned and bubbly.
Tips & Tricks for Perfect Poppyseed Chicken
- For a less saucy version, use only 1 can of cream of chicken soup and only one teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce.
- To make ahead of time, assemble and keep chilled in the refrigerator, separate from the topping. Add the topping just before baking.
- Keep leftover poppy seed chicken casserole covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Freeze in airtight containers or zippered bags for up to 3 months.
- If reheating the leftover casserole in the dish, cover loosely with foil and bake in a 350°F oven until warmed through (about 20 to 30 minutes). NOTE: Don’t place cold glass casserole dishes directly into a hot oven because the glass may shatter. Allow the dish to come to room temperature for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Individual portions can be reheated in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes.
Easy Poppyseed Chicken
- ¾ cup crushed crackers (13 crackers), or crushed cornflakes
- 3 Tablespoons butter melted
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 2-2½ quart casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, combine soup, sour cream, poppy seeds, Worcestershire if using, lemon juice, and garlic powder. Stir in chicken and spread in casserole dish.
- Combine crushed crackers and butter, and sprinkle topping over casserole.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly browned on top and sauce is hot and bubbling. Serve over rice or pasta.
- The sauce is delicious served over rice or pasta. But if less sauce is desired, use 10.5 ounce can of condensed soup (1 can) and only use 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce.
- Refrigerate leftovers covered for up to 4 days. Freeze in an airtight container, or individual portions in zippered bags, for up to 3 months.
- Thaw casserole in the refrigerator and allow the dish to come to room temperature (about 30 minutes) before placing in a hot oven.
- Cover poppyseed chicken with foil and bake in a 350°F oven until warmed through (about 20 to 30 minutes), or heat portions in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!