This recipe for Creamy Chicken And Mushrooms With Kale is cooked to perfection in this comforting one-pot recipe!
This savory entrée can be served with rice or pasta instead of zucchini to soak up every drop of rich sauce. White wine provides an extra depth of flavor and a touch of elegance. This creamy chicken mushroom recipe is certain to become a family favorite and is fancy enough for special occasions. Vary the flavor profile with some bacon crumbles or a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese! This easy recipe is healthy, hearty, and ready in minutes!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Easy Skillet Recipe!
- This is the only creamy chicken mushroom recipe you’ll ever need! Fast, filling, and fancy enough for company!
- Chicken is the perfect protein for recipe versatility! This recipe has so much room for variations, and it’s a great one for tossing in leftover veggies! Easy peasy!
- This one-pot main dish stands alone, but it also can be served over rice, pasta, and even mashed potatoes!
Ingredients and Variations
CHICKEN: Sliced chicken breasts ensure there’s a little chicken in every bite! Chicken thighs can be used for a more elegant look.
SAUCE: A little wine cooked with half and half and the sauteed veggies give this sauce its rich flavor. Use a decent wine that you wouldn’t mind drinking or use chicken broth if wine isn’t available. Cream will produce a thicker sauce over half and half, but either will work.
VEGETABLES: Creminis mushrooms work best because they are uniform in size, but white buttons can be used, too. Elegant looking morels are thick and meaty and can be used in place of the chicken for a completely vegetarian dish. Substitute baby kale or spinach in place of regular kale, and zucchini can be replaced with halved brussels sprouts or even broccoli florets. For instant results without having to prep, make this recipe using a bag of mixed vegetables.
How to Make Creamy Chicken and Mushrooms
Just follow these easy steps to make this delicious one-skillet meal!
- Brown chicken and set aside.
- Cook onion then deglaze pan with wine. Add mushrooms and cook until they begin to soften.
- Add flour and seasonings, stir until the mushrooms are evenly coated.
- Slowly stir in the cream and cook until the sauce is smooth.
- Add chicken, kale, and zucchini and cook until heated through.
Try this dish with these tasty sides or toppings!
- Pour finished dish into a casserole and cover with parmesan cheese and bacon bits. Broil until the cheese is bubbly and serve hot.
- Serve with a side of lemon rice, or a bright and tangy Greek salad, or fennel salad.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Brush the dirt off the mushrooms instead of rinsing under water. Mushrooms will absorb water, so brushing them off prevents this from happening. Alternately, wipe with a slightly damp paper towel.
- If using broth instead of wine, add a teaspoon of balsamic or white wine vinegar to add a little tartness to the creamy sauce.
- Spiral slice and ‘sweat’ the zucchini with a sprinkle of salt before adding them to the skillet. This keeps them from making the sauce too watery.
Other Delish Meal Ideas!
- Easy Chicken Enchiladas-so creamy and delish
- Chicken Pot Pie – a comfort food favorite!
- Chicken Fajitas – so zesty
- Easy Chicken Lettuce Wraps – as a meal or an appetizer
Creamy Chicken and Mushrooms With Kale
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2-3 chicken breasts sliced (about 1-1 ¼ pounds)
- 1 ½ Tablespoons butter
- ½ medium onion diced
- ½ cup white wine or chicken broth
- ½ pound cremini mushrooms quartered
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or to taste
- 1 cup half and half or cream, or chicken broth*
- 4 cups kale stalks removed and finely chopped (or spinach** or baby kale**)
- 3 small zucchinis spiralized, about 1 pound. Or use a pasta of your choice cooked al dente, pasta water reserved***)
- In a large skillet, add 1 Tablespoon olive oil on medium high heat. Once oil is shimmering, add chicken and spread over the bottom of the skillet. Leave, without stirring, for 3-4 minutes until browned, then stir chicken. Cook about 2 more minutes, just to brown the other side. Remove from pan and place on a plate.
- Turn heat to medium high and add remaining olive oil, butter, and onion. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add wine and scrape up brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Add mushrooms. Cook for about 3-5 minutes, until onions are almost translucent and mushrooms are starting to soften.
- Sprinkle flour, salt, and pepper over onions mushrooms and stir for 2 minutes (it will be thick).
- Reduce heat to medium low and slowly add the cream while stirring (to avoid lumps).
- Stir in chicken and kale**, and cook for 3 minutes. Add spiralized zucchini. Cook for about 2 minutes more, until zucchini is not quite cooked through.
**If using spinach or baby kale, add along with zucchini (not with the chicken).
***If you are using cooked pasta, you may want to add a little pasta water (or additional cream) to reach desired consistency of the sauce.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.