Skillet Lasagna is one of everyone’s favorite comfort foods!
Fresh lasagna noodles are layered with rich ricotta and baked in a seasoned meat sauce for a tasty main dish that will become a dinner staple all year long! Add a simple side salad like Red Leaf Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette and a crusty slice of No Knead Bread. It’s sure to be a hearty and satisfying meal that the whole family will enjoy, and it’s a perfect make ahead meal for lunches or frozen dinners on those busy evenings when everyone is on the go.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Skillet Lasagna recipe to your MAIN DISH Board!
- Cook this super easy skillet lasagna recipe in your favorite cast-iron skillet or Dutch oven and take it straight to the table, hot and ready to serve! One-pot main dishes are time and clean-up savers!
- Office potlucks, game nights, and family gatherings call for hearty dishes that are easy to make but taste like it took hours in the kitchen!
- This recipe shaves about 15 minutes off the normal lasagna cook time. and eliminates the need for another pot!
What’s in Skillet Lasagna?
PASTA: This recipe uses fresh lasagna noodles. Oven ready noodles cook up fast, too, and yield a great result.
CHEESE: Ricotta is the traditional cheese for lasagna because it’s really creamy when it melts and has a mild flavor that complements the meat sauce. Add a little parmesan and basil thickened with an egg for a super cheesy filling. Top the final layer with freshly sliced mozzarella and parmesan before baking.
MEAT: Italian pork sausage is punctuated by whole fennel seeds and red pepper flakes. It gives the meat sauce a unique spicy flavor that’s great in other recipes, too! Make extra and freeze it for future dishes!
SAUCE: A couple of large cans of diced or crushed tomatoes, some Italian seasoning, (we like this Italian Dressing Mix), and the sauce is ready!
Lasagna is a classic dish because of the combination of some basic ingredients. But a few substitutions here and there can make skillet lasagna a signature dish!
- Low carb lover? Replace the lasagna noodles with wide strips of zucchini or eggplant. Stir some chopped spinach into the cheese filling, add some sliced mushrooms, then layer and cook as directed.
- Cottage cheese is a lower calorie and less pricey alternative for ricotta and produces the same results. Or, melt some cubes of Velveeta and spread over the lasagna noodles.
- Skillet lasagna is a great way to use up leftover meats and veggies! Sub out the Italian sausage for shredded chicken, ground beef, chopped veggies like squash, shredded carrots, zucchini, or even jalapenos!
- For an even easier, cheesier skillet lasagna, replace the noodles with cheese-filled ravioli and cook as directed.
How to Make Skillet Lasagna
This easy one pot meal is always a hit and it’s super easy to put together:
- Cook sausage with garlic, tomatoes, and seasoning, per recipe below.
- Mix cheese ingredients, except for half the parmesan.
- Layer noodles, ricotta, and meat sauce, cover with remaining sauce and cheeses.
- Bake per instructions, then allow skillet lasagna to rest before serving.
PRO TIP: Be careful when cutting lasagna from non-stick skillets so they aren’t scratched. Cast iron or Dutch ovens are excellent pots to use!
Leftover lasagna tastes better the next day! Keep it in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat in an oven-safe dish. It’s so delish served with a side Kale Caesar Salad!
Freeze individual portions in small containers, then thaw overnight in the refrigerator and heat as desired.
Other Quick and Easy Dinners!
- Manwich Sloppy Joes – a family favorite.
- Instant Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff – so quick and easy to make!
- Chicken Lasagna – delicious twist on a classic recipe.
- Instant Pot Bolognese – ready in just over 30 minutes!
- Easy Stuffed Peppers – simple, yet elegant.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ -1 pound Italian sausage 3-4 sausages, casings removed
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 56 ounces diced tomatoes 2 x 28 ounce cans
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 ½ cups ricotta cheese
- ½ cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese divided
- 2 Tablespoons basil leaves fresh chopped
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 package fresh lasagna noodles about ¾ pound, 5-6 noodles
- 6-8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese or bocconcini balls, thinly sliced (or any mozzarella cheese)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- On medium-high heat, heat oil in a dutch oven or large deep skillet. Add sausage and cook until meat is browned, breaking up with meat chopper (or wooden spoon), about 5-7 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and Italian seasoning, and cook until sauce has thickened slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix together ricotta, half of parmesan cheese, basil, egg, salt, and pepper.
- Leave 1 cup of sauce in the bottom of the pot and put the rest of the sauce in a heat proof measuring cup or bowl. Spread sauce on the bottom of the dutch oven or skillet.
- Cover sauce with a single layer of noodles, cutting to fit with scissors or a knife if needed.
- Spread ⅓ of ricotta mixture, then a thin layer of sauce. Repeat twice.
- On the final layer of noodles, cover with sauce. Cover with sliced mozzarella then sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese. (See notes for layering details.)
- Cover loosely with aluminum foil and bake 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake until bubbling and browned, about 20-25 minutes more. Rest for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- 1 cup sauce
- ⅓ ricotta mixture
- ⅓ ricotta mixture
- ⅓ ricotta mixture
- bocconcini, parmesan cheese
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
Recipe very slightly adapted from Canadian Family