This recipe for Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken has a unique and tasty sauce that the whole family is sure to enjoy!
Every home cook loves the convenience of a “set it and forget it” slow cooker meal. Call it a Crock Pot or a slow cooker, either way, it makes cooking all kinds of recipes practically effortless. This honey garlic chicken recipe is a weekday timesaver and a weekend winner, with it’s savory sweet coating. Skip the takeout, and make this easy recipe right at home, then let the savory aroma fill the house.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken recipe to your MAIN DISHES Board!
Easy Slow Cooker Chicken
- Game day or sleepover party, honey garlic chicken is an easy and economical way to feed a crowd!
- Slow cooker recipes are a great way to prep and cook a delicious meal on those busy days. Even the clean-up is easy!
- Honey garlic sauce can be made with ingredients that are probably already in the pantry!
- Guests can help themselves to a grab-and-go appetizer! Here are some more tasty bites just in time for the big game! Homemade Jalapeno Poppers, or some Oven Roasted Asparagus. Add a tangy salad like this Greek Salad Recipe.
CHICKEN Boneless, skinless chicken breasts come out extra juicy and tender when they are slow-cooked in this recipe. Choose plump pieces and for best results, be sure to cut them in uniform bite-sized pieces so they cook at the same rate.
SAUCE Honey and garlic are the stars of this sauce! Add some soy sauce, ketchup, and a handful of spices for a sweet-savory sauce that clings to each delicious bite!
- Honey garlic sauce can be as sweet or as spicy as the recipe calls for! Add extra red pepper flakes or a dash of sriracha for a spicier sauce. Give it a sweeter flavor profile by using maple syrup instead of honey, or brown sugar if neither are available.
- Short on time? Use a bottle or two of barbecue sauce!
- Make it an entrée and serve honey garlic chicken over white rice! Punch up the nutrition and add some broccoli florets to the slow cooker.
How to Make Honey Garlic Chicken in a Slow Cooker
Quick prep makes this recipe a new Crockpot favorite:
- Place chicken pieces in the slow cooker.
- Add the ingredients and cook, as per the recipe below.
- Thicken sauce with cornstarch and water as desired.
- Garnish and serve.
Crock Pot Recipe Tips
- Grease the bottom and sides of the slow cooker with pan release or a swish of oil (leftover bacon grease is economical and adds a boost of bacon flavor) so the pieces don’t stick.
How to Store Leftovers
Honey garlic chicken makes excellent leftovers! Top a bed of greens with chicken or add to a wrap with lettuce for an energizing school or workday lunch!
Keep honey garlic chicken in a covered container in the refrigerator up to 5 days. Reheat it on the stovetop. Freeze portions in airtight containers for up to 4 weeks.
Other Chicken Recipes To Try!
- Kung Pao Chicken Recipe – a tasty Asian inspired dish.
- Air Fryer Chicken Breast – tender and juicy.
- Crack Chicken Casserole – 15 minute prep time!
- Broccoli Chicken Divan – a complete meal.
Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken
- 4-6 chicken breasts boneless, skinless, 2-3 pounds (or thighs)
- 1 cup honey reduce to ½ cup for less sweet chicken
- ½ cup soy sauce reduced sodium
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup onion diced
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed chili flakes optional
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 Tablespoon sesame seeds or to taste
- 1-2 green onions chopped (or chives)
- Grease or spray the inside of the slow cooker. (I use oil and spread with a pastry brush.)
- Cut chicken into bite sized pieces and add to slow cooker.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine honey, soy sauce, ketchup, onion, oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and pepper flakes if using. Pour over chicken.
- Cook for 2 ½ - 3 ½ hours on low, or 1 ½ - 2 hours on high, until chicken is just cooked. Check after the lowest time and stir chicken well (it may stick together).
- In a small bowl, mix together cornstarch and water*. Pour into slow cooker, and quickly stir to combine. Replace lid, set slow cooker on high, and cook sauce for ten minutes, or until slightly thickened**.
- Serve and sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onion.
**If the sauce is not as thick as you’d like, mix ½ Tablespoon cornstarch and ½ Tablespoon water together and mix into the sauce. Cook for 5 minutes.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
Slightly adapted from Baby Center