This recipe for one pot sausage pasta is loaded with pasta, spicy sausage, garlic and parmesan cheese for a savory and delicious creation!
Best of all, it goes from the stovetop to the table in less than 30 minutes! Hearty and savory sausage pasta is always a super versatile crowd-pleaser. Make it vegetarian-friendly with broccoli, kale, and spinach instead of meat. Or, substitute chicken, shrimp, or ground beef. Vary the seasonings with Italian herbs or even Cajun spice. It’s the perfect meal for cooking in the crock pot and taking along to potlucks!
Cheesy One-Pot Pasta
- This one pot meal is perfect to make on busy weeknights, or when the gang’s coming over for the big game!
- Keep it warm in a crock pot and let everyone help themselves!
- No need to pre-cook the pasta because it cooks as it simmers in the tomato broth.
- Room for variations, so you can use what’s on hand! It’s a great recipe for using up leftovers, too.
- Omit the sausage and add extra veggies for a hearty vegetarian or meatless Monday meal!
- Double up on this recipe for tasty leftovers all week or take it to a party or potluck!
Ingredients and Variations
MEAT: Italian sausage makes this a hearty dish, but ground beef, shrimp, ground chicken or turkey will also work. Use andouille sausage for a Cajun flair or make it with frozen meatballs, no need to thaw, if pinched for time.
SAUCE: This quick and easy sauce has so many variations. The beef broth, diced tomatoes, and pasta sauce provide enough liquid to cook the pasta, and for a super creamy sauce, stir in some heavy cream. Make it spicier with a few shakes of red pepper flakes or a couple of dashes of Tabasco!
PASTA: Spaghetti, linguine, fettuccine, penne, elbow macaroni, bowtie or event tortellini pasta give the dish a new look every time.
NUTS: Pine nuts are pricey and not always available, but walnuts or pecans can be substituted.
PRO TIP: Toast pine nuts in a dry saute pan to intensify the flavor and add extra crunch.
ADD-INS: Sliced mushrooms, sliced black olives, chopped kale or spinach, broccoli florets, and even a bag of frozen mixed veggies will add more flavor and texture to the dish.
How to Make One Pot Sausage Pasta
Dinner will be served in under 30 minutes when you follow these easy steps!
- Brown sausage in a large pot, then add broth, tomatoes, onion, garlic (more or less, as desired), salt, pepper flakes, and pepper (as per recipe below).
- Bring to a boil and add pasta. Once it comes to a boil again, reduce the heat and stir until the pasta is cooked.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of parmesan, pine nuts, and basil.
- Garnish with remaining cheese and parsley before serving.
- While the pasta is cooking, shred the cheese, chiffonade the basil, and toast the nuts.
- The starch in the pasta will help thicken the sauce, but if you prefer more sauce, add a little more liquid after adding the cheese.
- Reserve a small amount of basil and pine nuts for garnish.
- Keep leftover cheesy one-pot pasta in a covered container in the refrigerator up to 4 days.
- Reheat on the stovetop.
- Portions can be frozen in freezer-safe containers for up to 2 months, but the pasta won’t be as firm, so you can make fresh pasta to add to the dish.
Other Delish Pasta Recipes!
- Cream Cheese Pasta Bake – 5 minute prep!
- Parmesan Asparagus Pasta – a flavorful side dish
- Stuffed Pasta Shells – hearty and delicious
- Simple Parmesan Pasta With Lemon – zesty and so easy
- Chili Mac Recipe – delish
- Hamburger Pasta Medley – ready in 30 minutes
Cheesy One Pot Pasta
- 1 pound italian sausage sliced (or ground)
- 4 cups beef broth
- 4 cups chopped tomatoes or halved grape tomatoes, about 1½ -1¾ pounds
- ½ onion diced, about ½ cup
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or to taste
- 12 ounces spaghetti or linguine or fettuccine
- 1½ cups freshly shredded parmesan cheese divided
- ½ cup pine nuts toasted
- ½ cup basil leaves chiffonade or finely sliced, about 15-20 leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley optional garnish
- In a large pot on medium high heat, brown sausage, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes, onion, garlic, salt, pepper flakes, and pepper and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil and add pasta. Refer to pasta package directions for cook time*. Once the liquid starts to boil again, reduce heat to a simmer. Stir constantly until pasta is submerged. Simmer until pasta is cooked, stirring often.
- Once the pasta is cooked, remove from heat. Add 1 cup of the parmesan, pine nuts, and basil to the pasta and stir to combine.
- Serve and sprinkle with remaining cheese and parsley if using.
- *cooking estimates: 8 minutes for spaghetti, 10 minutes for linguini, and 11 minutes for fettuccine.
- If desired, add more garlic.
- Refrigerate leftover cheesy one-pot pasta in a covered container for up to 4 days.
- Reheat over low heat on the stovetop.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!