Make this super tasty Cabbage and Potato Foil Pack for an easy 5 ingredient vegetarian main meal or a BBQ side dish.
It’s not too late for a backyard or beach BBQ dinner around the campsite! These super easy hobo pack meals can be cooked on the grill, baked in the oven, or nestled into the campfire. All the meat and veggies cook at the same time, so there’s more time to enjoy those summer nights. Try this easy foil pack recipe tonight, and enjoy it with friends or family with Grilled Corn on the Cob and a platter of BBQ Drumsticks.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Foil Pack recipe to your GRILLING & BBQ Board!
Cabbage & Potato Foil Packets
- DIY dinner! Everyone can create their own hearty, healthy dinner!
- Prep meat and vegetables in aluminum foil packets, seal them and take them on the go!
- Perfect side dish with any meat of fish entrée!
What’s in these Foil Packs?
Foil pack recipes can be made with any kind of meat or vegetables. They can even be all meat-based or all vegetarian. And you can use your favorite seasonings, oils and rubs.
VEGETABLES – These foil packs have dense, starchy veggies like potatoes and carrots and then some crunchy cabbage.
SEASONING – Season packs with a bit of butter, salt and pepper and that’s it! Or switch out the salt for garlic salt and sprinkle on a little parmesan cheese before wrapping them up!
VEGETABLES: Choose veggies that are of the same size and texture such as:
- mushrooms with green beans or asparagus
- canned beans with diced onions and sweet potatoes
- brussels sprouts with sliced bell peppers
PROTEIN: Tru chunks of chicken, frozen meatballs, cubes of steak, sliced Cajun or German sausage, even shrimp or salmon! And bacon bits can also be added to veggie or meat foil packs, too!
SEASONINGS: Boost the flavor by adding some savory seasonings, marinades, or sauces to the ingredients! Here are some favorites to try:
How to Make Hobo Packs
- Preheat the grill, oven, or make sure the campfire coals are glowing and can provide an extended time for cooking.
- Spray sheets of aluminum foil with pan release or rub with butter. Toss meat or veggies in leftover melted bacon grease for a yummy bacon-y flavor!
- Divide veggies in the center of each square, top with a pat of butter, and add seasonings. Seal the pouches and cook, flipping every 10 minutes until everything is fully cooked and tender.
- Grill 30 minutes or place foil packs on a baking sheet and flip after 15 minutes.
Serve Foil Packs With…
Add one of these festive salads like a Chickpea Pasta Salad or a Black Bean Corn Salad. Don’t forget the Honey Cornbread Muffins and some yummy Pistachio Shortbread Cookies for dessert!
Wrap any leftovers in their own foil packs and store them in the refrigerator. Reheat in the oven or take out of the foil packs and reheat in a skillet on the stove. Freeze leftovers in individual zippered bags with the date labeled on the outside for up to a month. Pop one out and it will be thawed and ready for a school or desktop lunch!
Other Easy Recipes To Try!
- Hamburger Foil Packets – a complete meal hobo pack style!
- Grilled Corn on the Cob – quick and easy side.
- Pierogi Casserole -filling and delicious.
- Sheet Pan Shrimp Dinner – one pan dinner!
- Pork Stew Recipe – easy and economical.
Cabbage and Potato Foil Pack
- 2-3 pounds potatoes sliced
- 4 carrot sliced, or 12 baby carrots, cut lengthwise
- ¼ head cabbage core removed, cut into 4 even chunks
- 2 Tablespoons butter divided, or more to taste
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat grill on medium heat. Cut 4 large pieces of foil (about 12x18”) and grease with butter or oil, or spray with nonstick spray.
- Divide potatoes evenly between the 4 pieces of foil and place in the center. Top each with one quarter of the carrots, and one slice of cabbage. Top each with ½ Tablespoon butter, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Seal foil packets and place on the grill, with the butter on the top. Grill for 30 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked through, flipping about every 10 minutes.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
PIN this Cabbage and Potato Foil Pack Recipe!
Easiest thing to make on the bbq! And so yummy.
It’s true, the foil packs are so easy and go with everything!