Hamburger Foil Packets are both hearty and delicious, plus a great way to get the family together around the campfire or grill!
Also called “Hobo Foil Packets,” these super fun and easy to make foil packet meals can be assembled ahead of time and taken to the beach, the park, or anywhere there is a heat source!
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Hamburger Foil Packets recipe to your DINNER Board!
We Love Foil Packet Dinners!
- They are a great way to let everyone create their own meal with their favorite meats, veggies, and seasonings!
- We love how easy this recipe is, you can enjoy an entire meal from the foil packet and save on dish duty!
Ingredients and Variations
GROUND BEEF Foil packet recipes are super versatile! Our basic recipe uses ground beef patties
SEASONING MIX, a premade seasoning mix (or, you can make your own Italian dressing mix. Use on salads, stir into sour cream for a tangy dip or add to a veggie stir fry).
VEGETABLES Hearty veggies like potatoes and carrots are the foundation for the burger topping, but other veggies like zucchini, onions, mushrooms, even sweet potatoes can be added to the packets.
VARIATIONS Meat options can be steak, chicken breasts, shrimp, fish, salmon, sausage, even pork chops! Wrap burger patties or chicken breasts with raw strips of bacon to add a juicy, bacon flavor! For a Cajun Hobo Packet, season shrimp with Jerk seasoning, and add new baby potatoes, red onions, and small pieces of corn on the cob! Great idea for a cookout at the lake or the beach!
How to Make a Foil Packet
- Prepare aluminum foil sheets and grease one side with butter, oil, or pan release.
- Season the ground beef in a bowl and form into 4 patties. Set aside.
- Toss the onions, potatoes, carrots, oil, and salt and pepper together.
- Whisk together the soup and garlic.
- Divide the veggie mixture equally among the greased foil squares. Top each veggie pile with a burger patty and ¼ soup mixture.
- Seal the foil packets and place them on a baking sheet. Bake in oven for 30 to 45 minutes or until the veggies are tender.
- Open the foil packets, season with salt and pepper or a little Ranch dressing and serve hot!
PRO TIP: Save leftover bacon grease in the refrigerator and use as a flavorful fat for cooking!
Place Hobo packets directly on the grill for 45 minutes or until the veggies are tender and the meat reaches an internal temperature of 160°F.
Tips and Tricks
- Hobo packets are the perfect make-ahead meal! For an outing, simply seal up the foil packets, place them in zippered bags and keep them on ice in an ice chest until ready to cook.
- Or, keep them in a bowl in the refrigerator until ready to bake or grill.
- Cut veggies to the same size so they will cook evenly and don’t be afraid to be generous with your favorite seasoning!
- Single-use sheets of aluminum foil (the kind restaurants use) are the perfect pre-cut size for Hobo packets and a real time-saver!
The best way to store Hobo packet leftovers is to seal them back in their foil pouch and keep them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat them in the oven or remove the contents into a bowl and reheat in the microwave.
Other Easy Meals To Try!
- Easy Turkey Pot Pie – dinner in under an hour.
- Hamburger Soup Recipe – hearty and filling!
- Spinach Lasagna – a complete meal.
- Ham And Pea Pasta Bake – perfect for leftover ham!
- Sheet Pan Shrimp Dinner – a one and done dinner.
Hamburger Foil Packets
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 packet onion soup mix or 2 Tablespoon dried onion flakes, 2 Tablespoons beef bullion, and ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ onion sliced
- 4 potatoes small, peeled and sliced about ¼ inch thick
- 2 cups carrot sliced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 10 ounce condensed cream of mushroom soup 1 can
- 2 cloves garlic minced (or 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Cut 4 large pieces of foil (about 12x18”) and grease with butter or oil, or spray with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix together ground beef and soup mix (or seasoning). Divide into 4 equal portions and form into patties.
- In a large bowl, mix together onion, potatoes, carrots, oil, salt, and pepper.
- In a small bowl, mix together condensed soup and garlic.
- Divide the potato mixture evenly between the 4 pieces of foil and place in the center. Top each with a beef patty and ¼ of the soup mixture (about 3-3½ Tablespoons).
- Seal foil packets and place on a baking tray, with the patty on the top. Bake for 30-45 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked through. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
PIN this Hamburger Foil Packets recipe!
Adapted from Spend With Pennies