Whether it be a grilled breast, an oven-roasted chicken, or pan-seared thighs, this Smoked Chicken Rub is sure to make any meal a flavorful creation.
Make a chicken seasoning dry rub that everyone will be talking about! This homemade chicken smoker rub recipe uses just a few simple but flavorful ingredients. Brown sugar is added for a touch of sweetness, and paprika, garlic, onion powder, and a surprise dash of lemon pepper, for a bit of spice. Make it in batches and share it with lucky guests at BBQs and picnics!
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Smoked Chicken Rub recipe to your SPICES & SEASONING Board!
Smoked Chicken Rub Recipe!
- This chicken smoke rub is so flavorful when it is applied to a whole chicken, or parts like leg quarters, thighs, breasts, and wings.
- Add it to sour cream as a quick and easy dip for chips and veggies!
- Barbecued, smoked, grilled, oven-roasted, or air-fried, this bold smoked chicken rub adds a rich spice flavor to chicken no matter how it’s prepared!
What’s in Chicken Smoke Rub?
SWEET: Choose more or less brown sugar for the perfect, personalized flavor profile. Sugar-free Stevia or Monkfruit sugar alternative will work, too.
SAVORY: Garlic, onion powder, paprika, and kosher salt are the savory components. But, lemon pepper is what makes this recipe next level bright and tangy. No lemon pepper? Simply use 2 tablespoons of freshly cracked black pepper and 2 tablespoons of dried lemon zest.
Make a signature rub that everyone will ask for! Add a dash of mustard powder, red pepper flakes, or cayenne pepper to make it spicier or more brown sugar to make it less spicy.
PRO TIP: For best results, add about ½ teaspoon of corn starch to the finished recipe. This will help the smoked chicken rub spice cling to the meat since it expands as it absorbs moisture.
How to Make Chicken Smoke Rub
It is so easy to make this ahead of time and have it ready to add to all kinds of chicken dishes.
- Thoroughly combine all ingredients (as per the recipe below).
- Store in a mason jar or container with a tightly fitting lid.
How to Store Smoked Chicken Rub
Add all of the ingredients in the container you’ll store it in and simply shake it thoroughly. No need to wash a bowl!
Write the current date on the lid of the container or on a piece of tape and affix to the container. Replace after 6 months.
More Rubs and Seasonings
- Chili Seasoning – perfect to spice up any dish.
- Best Beef Brisket Rub – a delish Texas-style rub.
- Pork Rub Recipe – great for the BBQ.
- Homemade Taco Seasoning – a spicy recipe.
Smoked Chicken Rub
- ½ cup kosher salt
- ½ cup paprika
- ¼ cup brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup lemon pepper *
- 2 Tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons onion powder
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients very well.
- Store in a mason jar with a lid or another air tight container.
- Makes about 32 Tablespoons = 2 cups
- Use about ½-1 Tablespoon per chicken breast
- *Replace lemon pepper with 2 Tablespoons freshly ground black pepper and 2 Tablespoons dried lemon zest.
- Store seasoning in a sealed container, in a dry and dark area for up to 6 months.
- PRO TIP: Mark the day it was made on the container for easy reference.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
REPIN this Chicken Rub recipe!
I make lots this rub to have on hand. It’s the easiest way to get the Smokey flavour into chicken.