Nothing says “lovin’ from the oven” like a freshly baked loaf homemade loaf of zucchini banana bread hitting the table!
Light and fluffy with sweet, mashed bananas and made moist by using shredded zucchini, banana zucchini bread is healthy and delicious. This amazing recipe makes two whole loaf pans. Which is a very good thing because this healthy, cinnamon-spiced banana loaf will disappear in no time! It freezes beautifully too! Enjoy one loaf fresh, and freeze the second! Or make separately wrapped slices for the freezer to quickly grab-and-go on busy mornings or afternoons.
Healthy Zucchini Banana Bread
- This recipe comes together with ingredients likely already in the pantry and can be adjusted to be sugar and gluten-free.
- Banana zucchini bread is a “quick bread” which means there is no yeast to rise or extended rising times. It can be ready to serve in under an hour!
- You’ll want to double up on the recipe because banana zucchini bread freezes up beautifully!
- Healthy, low-fat, and delicious, serve as a breakfast bread, a post-workout snack, or cut thick slices and serve with ice cream for dessert! It also makes great French toast!
Ingredients and Variations
BATTER: Half of the white flour can be switched out for wheat, and your favorite gluten-free blend can be used, simply follow the packaging ratios. Always check the freshness dates on baking powder and baking soda for best results. Try this DIY pumpkin spice blend that would go well in this recipe as well as all kinds of cakes, pies, muffins, and even pancakes.
SUGAR: Superfine (castor) sugar dissolves faster than granulated sugar, if you have it. Use your favorite sugar-free sweetener by following their package ratios.
BANANAS/ZUCCHINI: For the best banana flavor, older bananas are sweeter and easier to mash than fresh ones. Whole zucchinis don’t have to be peeled, although if buying fresh from the supermarket, be sure to clean the outside to eliminate the waxy coating it’s often shipped to the store with.
ADD-INS: Shredded carrots, coconut, slivered almonds, dried fruit like cranberries or blueberries, and chocolate chips are tasty additions that make banana zucchini bread a new recipe every time!
How to Make Banana Zucchini Bread
- Whisk the dry ingredients in a bowl (per recipe below).
- Add bananas, zucchini, and remaining wet ingredients into the dry mixture and fold until combined.
- Divide batter evenly in two pans and bake until a wooden pick comes out clean.
How to Store
- Keep leftover banana zucchini bread in a covered container for up to 3 days.
- Freeze banana zucchini bread in a whole loaf or in slices once it’s completely cooled in zippered bags for up to 2 months.
- Thaw slices at room temperature or in the microwave or toaster.
Tips for Perfect Banana Bread
- Set the eggs out about 30 minutes before using for faster mixing.
- For better blending, mix the wet ingredients separately in a bowl before adding to the dry. Create a “well” in the center of the bowl of dry ingredients before adding the wet. Then gently fold the batter together. This prevents over mixing, which can make the bread too dense.
- Since the temperature in each oven can vary, check for doneness about 10 minutes before the time is up.
- If the tops of the loaves begin to brown too much during baking, tent them lightly with aluminum foil.
Best Bread Recipes!
- Cake Mix Banana Bread – so easy!
- Nut Free Banana Bread – perfect for school lunches
- Moist Banana Bread – quick 15 minute prep
- Sourdough Banana Bread – with sourdough starter
- Lemon Zucchini Bread – zesty and delish
Zucchini Banana Bread
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Grease two 9 x 4 inch or 8½ x 4½ inch loaf pans using pan release.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add eggs, sugar, zucchini, banana, oil, and vanilla to the dry mixture. Fold the mixture until well combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two loaf pans.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean or bread is between 200-205°F on an instant read thermometer.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Zehm, Dorothy. “Zucchin – Banana Bread.” Barron Electric Member Cookbook. Ed. Barron Electric Cooperative. Barron: Barron Electric Cooperative, 2016. 49. Portable Document Format.