Moist Banana Bread is such a treat.
Sweet and savory, this bread curbs the sweet tooth without overloading on sugar. This moist banana bread recipe is a new twist on the old favorite, it’s banana bread with mayo. Yup. Mayonnaise! Adding mayonnaise is a secret ingredient that will help to make the bread super moist and more flavorful. And for those who don’t like the taste of mayo, guaranteed that no one will even know it has been added because it tastes just like eggs and oil would!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Moist Banana Bread recipe to your BAKING Board!
Best Banana Bread!
- This is the best banana bread because it is so easy to make and only has a few ingredients.
- Adding mayonnaise to the base of this recipe will make the bread come out of the oven warm and moist.
- This bread is such a delicious treat that freezes super well!
- Double this recipe and save it for car trips, picnics, or when guests are coming for coffee and tea.
Ingredients & Variations
MAYONNAISE: Adding mayonnaise to the recipe will help to make the bread moist. This is because mayo contains extra egg and oil. In this case, the mayo is used as a substitute for the oil that is generally added to banana bread. Most brands of mayo will do, including Miracle Whip. Sour cream can also be used as a substitute for mayonnaise as can buttermilk or yogurt.
BANANAS: Make sure that the bananas are brown, almost black. The browner the banana the sweeter the flavor. No green bananas as this will make the bread too sour. Mash the bananas with a fork or blend in the blender for a smoother consistency. Sub applesauce for an apple bread, or make half and half!
FLOUR: This recipe calls for basic flour. Whole wheat flour can also be used and will simply make the bread a little more dense. Gluten-free flour can also be used as a substitute.
VARIATIONS: Banana bread has some favorite accompaniments, such as chocolate chips, and almost any nut but especially walnut and pecans. To make it a healthy snack, and sugar-free, make it without the sugar and add a sugar-free alternative.
How to Make Moist Banana Bread
Banana bread is so easy to whip up:
- Mash the bananas & mix with mayo, eggs, & vanilla.
- In another bowl mix the flour, sugar, nuts, baking soda, & salt.
- Combine flour mixture with the banana mixture.
- Bake in a loaf pan (per recipe below).
Tips for the Best Banana Bread
- Don’t overmix the batter. A light mixing will make sure that the bread is tender and soft. Overmixing will cause the bread to be more dense.
- To test for doneness, near the end of the cooking time, insert a toothpick into the bread. It should come out clean. If it seems undercooked, put it back in the oven and cook it for intervals of 2 minutes.
Storing Banana Bread
Banana bread is great for freezing. It is so easy to pull out and serve if guests are coming for an afternoon visit. Wrap the loaves in aluminum foil and place them in a zippered bag. Make sure to remove the air. It can also be cut into slices and frozen. Wrap each slice in plastic wrap. This is great for packing for picnics or lunches. Or make this recipe as muffins. This is an even easier snack to eat on the go. To thaw the loaf, unwrap it and place it on a rack for 3-4 hours on the counter.
Easy Banana Bread Recipes
- Sourdough Banana Bread – made from scratch
- Simple Banana Bread – a grab-and-go snack
- Banana Walnut Bread Recipe – delicious with a crunch
- Cake Mix Banana Bread – 3 ingredient recipe
Moist Banana Bread
- 3 bananas mashed, about 1 cup
- ½ cup mayonnaise or miracle whip
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup chopped nuts
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x5 loaf pan*.
- In a large bowl, mix together banana, mayonnaise, egg, and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, nuts, baking soda, and salt.
- Add flour mixture to banana mixture and stir until just combined.
- Bake 60-70 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes in the pan then place on a cooling rack. Cool completely. Slice and serve!
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.