Cake Mix Banana Bread is so quick and easy to make!
This 3 ingredient banana bread recipe is so simple to make and the result is a light, sweet and delicious loaf that everyone will love. A yellow or white box cake mix is the main ingredient, along with eggs and bananas, of course. After that all the chef has to do add some chocolate chips or other favorite add ins. Cream together some typical banana bread ingredients and a cake mix for a moist and sweet dessert or coffee break treat. This fluffy banana bread will be ready to enjoy in no time!
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Cake Mix Banana Bread recipe to your BAKING Board!
What is Cake Mix Banana Bread?
- A cake mix banana bread is exactly what it sounds like – it’s banana bread that is made with a boxed cake mix. This recipe is a great way to make homemade banana bread without any fuss and bother.
- One of the best things about this recipe is that it allows the chef use up leftover overripe bananas (or other fruit) that may have gotten too soft for regular eating. Freeze those brown bananas left on the counter for use in future recipes!
- This Cake Mix Banana Bread recipe is so much fun to customize. Why not make a banana nut bread with chopped walnuts? Or make muffins, cut a hole in the center of each muffin and pipe some vanilla pudding into each one? The options are endless, and all it takes is some imagination!
Ingredients and Variations
CAKE MIX: Vanilla or white Pillsbury cake mix will work for classic flavor, but feel free to use another variety. Try a chocolate cake banana bread, or go for a spice cake. Even gluten free cake mix will yield spectacular results. (Be careful that all ingredients are gluten-free, and that there is zero cross contamination.)
EGGS: Just two eggs is all it takes to make banana bread super moist and delish. Some may wish to add milk, butter, or cream, but be aware that it may be too much liquid, especially with the addition of fruit called for in this recipe. Adjust by baking for a slightly longer period of time.
BANANAS: 3-4 ripe mashed bananas are called for, or approximately 1¼ cups. Another kind of fruit could be subbed in this recipe, too. Try some applesauce, frozen blueberries, or strawberries. Even mashed mango or another type of fruit with a similar consistency to bananas could work. Be sure to use about 1¼ cups of fruit. Results will vary.
ADD-INS: Chocolate chips are a favorite addition to banana bread, but feel free to use dried fruit or nuts, caramel chips, white chocolate chips with cranberry raisins, or anything the chef dreams up! Just be sure to use the same amount that the recipe calls for.
How to Make Cake Mix Banana Bread
It’ so simple to make:
- Mash bananas, prepare loaf pans.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Pour into loaf pans and bake (per recipe below).
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mash bananas & line muffin tins with paper liners (or spray with pan release).
- Mix all ingredients together (per recipe below).
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
In the Crock Pot:
Believe it or not, cake mix banana bread can even be baked in the Crock Pot or slow cooker!
- Grease the crock of a slow cooker and preheat it to “high” setting.
- Mash bananas and mix all ingredients together (per recipe below).
- Pour into the crock or the slow cooker, or into a greased and floured loaf pan that can be placed inside the crock.
- Cover the crock with a clean kitchen towel to catch condensation, and place the lid over top.
- Cook on high for 2-3 hours. Make sure a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Storing Banana Bread
Store banana bread made with eggs in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Cake mix banana bread is also the perfect snack or dessert for freezing. Wrapped tightly in a double layer of plastic wrap plus aluminum foil, or stored in an airtight freezer container, it will keep indefinitely. But try to use within 3 months for optimum freshness.
Other Delicious Banana Inspired Recipes!
- Banana Donuts with Chocolate Glaze – a decadent treat.
- Nut Free Banana Bread – perfect for school lunches.
- Sourdough Banana Bread – quick 10 minute prep.
- Banana Granola Bars – grab and go breakfast or snack.
- Zucchini Banana Bread – a healthy banana bread
Cake Mix Banana Bread
- 3-4 ripe bananas about 1 ¼ cup
- 1 box yellow cake mix , or white cake mix, dry mix only
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup add-ins - such as chocolate chips, chopped nuts, dried fruit, etc. optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 8½ x 4½ loaf pans (or 8"x 4"), or use pan release.
- Mash bananas.
- In a large bowl, add dry cake mix, bananas, and eggs and stir until well combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips (and nuts) if using. Divide evenly between the two loaf pans.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 15 minutes in the pan then remove from pan and place on a cooling rack. Cool completely. Slice and serve!
- Refrigerate Cake Mix Banana Bread in an airtight container.
- For optimum freshness, store for up to 3 months wrapped in a double layer of plastic wrap plus aluminum foil, or in an airtight container.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
REPIN this Cake Mix Banana Bread recipe!
Baking this right now using a Sugar free yellow cake mix and sugar free chocolate chips. Should lower the carb count and sugar level a bit! Hope it works out! Being a diabetic it would be nice to be able to splurge once in awhile! We will see!
Oh I sure hope it works Anita!!
I’ve been making this recipe for a few years. Just like you, I’m also a diabetic. In this recipe I also use sugar free yellow cake mix & sugar free chocolate chips & chopped walnuts. Occasionally I vary using different types dried fruit. As sugar free as possible. Sometimes I use a mixture of cinnamon & a sugar substitute (Splenda or Stevia) to stir into batter or sprinkle on top. Let your imagination go! Be creative!
Thank you for sharing Sharon.