These Sourdough Muffins have the best tangy sweet flavor!
You can make more than just bread with a sourdough starter! This recipe for Sourdough Banana Muffins will bake up fluffy and moist with a sweet banana flavor. These are just perfect for a grab-and-go breakfast. Try them with Strawberry Butter for a satisfying start to the day. Or serve them warmed up as a dessert with a drizzle of Spicy Chocolate Sauce and some whipped cream on top! They are also delish paired with your morning coffee.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Sourdough Banana Muffins recipe to your BAKING Board!
Sourdough Banana Muffins
- Why have plain toast or English muffins when these muffins can be made in minutes?
- A basket of muffins makes a perfect hostess gift or contribution to a potluck. Mini, regular, or jumbo-sized banana sourdough baked muffins are a sweet gift! Why not add a small jar of homemade Honey Butter?
- Sourdough starter has a boost of prebiotic nutrition in it that is less likely to raise blood sugar levels—plus it makes muffins taste delicious!
- If sourdough starter discard needs to be fed, just scoop some out and make a quick batch of muffins before feeding it.
- The simple ingredients are probably already in the pantry and leave lots of room for alterations!
Ingredients and Variations
THE DRY MIXTURE: Flour, baking powder, and spices create the muffin base. For a heartier & healthier muffin, use half white and half whole wheat flour, and for a gluten-free option, switch out all the flour for your favorite gluten-free brand. (Unless the starter is made gluten free, the bread won’t be either, though, so be careful!)
THE WET MIXTURE: Use eggs, sourdough starter, bananas, oil, sugar, and vanilla. For lower carbs and calories, a sugar substitute can be used.
THE MIX-INS: Into the wet mixture, blueberry, applesauce, or pumpkin puree can be added. Chocolate, peanut butter, or toffee chips give the muffins extra sweetness, and walnuts, pecans, or even pumpkin seeds give a little crunch. Add some blueberries or strawberries for an extra fruity muffin.
How to Make Sourdough Muffins
You can still eat sourdough, even without the longer process of making a sourdough loaf:
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix wet ingredients with an electric mixture until batter is smooth.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry, folding over & scraping the bowl. Avoid overmixing so the muffins stay aerated. Optional: this is where extra mix-ins can be gently folded in.
- Bake muffins (per recipe below) in prepared tins until a toothpick comes out clean. Let them cool on a wire rack.
Best Banana Muffin Tips
- Set the yeast starter and eggs out about 20 minutes before using. Using them at room temperature helps them mix up extra fluffy.
- If using berries of any kind (fresh or frozen), toss them in flour before adding in step 4, to keep them from sinking to the bottom of the muffins while they’re baking.
- Toast nuts before using in any recipe by lightly sautéing them in a small pan until they are barely fragrant. This cooks off the natural oils to intensify their flavor and make them extra crunchy.
Making muffins every morning? Keep the batter in an airtight container overnight in the refrigerator, and scoop out enough for muffins as needed. Store baked muffins at room temperature in zippered bags with a slice of bread in it to absorb excess moisture. Freeze cooled muffins individually wrapped in plastic and placed in small, zippered bags. Thaw on the countertop overnight or pop a frozen muffin in a backpack or briefcase for a delicious mid-morning pick-me-up!
- Sourdough Banana Bread – quick bread delight!
- Peach Sourdough Muffins – summertime sweetness.
- Sourdough French Toast – easy to make.
- Sourdough Rhubarb Muffins – tangy flavor!
Sourdough Banana Muffins
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 cup sourdough starter 227 grams
- 1 ½ cups ripe bananas mashed (2-3 bananas)
- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line muffin tin with liners (or grease & flour).
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg.
- In a medium to large bowl, whisk eggs until mixed. Add in sourdough starter, bananas, oil, sugars, and vanilla. Whisk until well combined.
- Add wet mixture to the flour mixture and fold, scraping bottom and sides using a rubber spatula, until just mixed. Do not overmix or banana bread will be tough.
- Divide batter evenly between muffin tins. Place into the oven & bake 17-19 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes, then transfer to a rack and cool completely.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Adapted slightly from my Sourdough Banana Bread