This extra special Chex Mix Puppy Chow Recipe is quick and easy to make!
Before you could buy it as Chex Mix Muddy Buddies, it was a homemade recipe that only needed a few ingredients! Crunchy Chex cereal is mixed into melted chocolate and peanut butter and then dusted in powdered sugar. Puppy Chow is the ultimate finger-licking sweet treat that anyone can make. It’s perfect for holiday treats or a hostess gift, just tie a ribbon around a mason jar for a pretty presentation. Enjoy it with friends for a game or movie night.
Follow Our Zesty Life on Pinterest for more great recipes and ideas!
PIN this Chex Mix Puppy Chow Recipe to your DESSERTS & BAKING Board!
What is Puppy Chow?
- Puppy Chow was the original name, but Muddy Buddies are the store-bought version with all of their 34 different flavor profiles! The original has always been the most popular, but brownie, s’mores, cookies and cream, and even peppermint bark are all fun flavors that can be made any time for any occasion!
- Often made and shared at Christmas and other special occasions like Valentine’s Day, Puppy Chow can be made any day with this super simple recipe!
- Make snack time special and serve Puppy Chow with a creamy Copycat Shamrock Shake, some tangy Creamy Lemonade, or a fun Triple Berry Smoothie.
What’s in Muddy Buddies?
Muddy Buddies have so many variations, but the original is everyone’s favorite!
CHEX CEREAL – Any flavor will do since all of the cereal squares are the same size. Make gluten-free Muddy Buddies by using rice Chex or corn Chex, which are also both made without high fructose corn syrup. But any Chex is a good Chex to choose!
THE BASICS – Peanut butter can be creamy or crunchy, the chocolate chips can be semi-sweet, milk chocolate, or dark. Powdered sugar is the sweet coating on the outside that keeps them from melting in your hands!
VARIATION – Switch out the vanilla extract for Peppermint, Orange, or Coconut to create a new flavor! Add some cinnamon to the powdered sugar, and sprinkle in some cinnamon hearts for a Valentine’s Day treat or gift. Or get creative and come up with individual add ins and extras.
How to Make Puppy Chow
This addictive treat is so easy and fun to make:
- Pour cereal into a large bowl.
- Melt chocolate chips, peanut butter, butter, and vanilla in the microwave (per recipe below).
- Pour the chocolate over the cereal in the bowl and toss gently to coat each piece.
- Add powdered sugar and toss to coat.
- Lay finished Puppy Chow on a baking sheet to set before serving.
Tips & Tricks
- Avoid overheating the chocolate or it will ‘seize’ and become grainy. If this happens, add more peanut butter or butter and reheat slowly, stirring frequently until the mix is smooth again.
- In stages, shake Puppy Chow pieces in a large plastic bag with powdered sugar.
- Once the cereal pieces are coated, shake the coated in a fine mesh strainer to release the extra powdered sugar from the pieces.
- For extra crunchy Puppy Chow pieces, spread the cereal on a cookie sheet and bake it for about 15 minutes.
How to Store Muddy Buddies
Keep Muddy Buddies in an air-tight container or a zippered bag at room temperature away from direct heat for up to 5 days.
Other Tasty Treats!
- Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies – gluten free.
- Peanut Butter Energy Balls – perfect grab and go snack.
- Homemade Granola Bars with Seeds – just 15 minute prep.
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bars – a decadent treat.
- No Bake Chocolate Macaroons – tasty no bake treat.
Puppy Chow Recipe
- Add cereal to a large bowl and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add chocolate chips, peanut butter, butter, and vanilla, and microwave on high for 1 minute and stir. Microwave in 15-30 second increments, stirring each time, until the mixture is smooth. Do not overheat (or chocolate may seize).
- Pour chocolate over the cereal and toss to coat.
- Add powdered sugar and toss to evenly coat*.
- Spread the cereal on a parchment lined baking tray. Allow it to rest for about 30 minutes before serving.
- *Another method is to put the chocolate coated cereal in a large zip top bag. Add the powdered sugar and shake to evenly coat. (If you don’t have a large enough bag, you may need to do this in batches.)
- Once coated, release any extra sugar by shaking in a fine mesh strainer.
- Avoid overheating the chocolate. If it becomes grainy add more peanut butter or butter and reheat slowly, stirring frequently until smooth again.
- Bake Puppy Chow pieces on a cookie sheet for 15 minutes for extra crunch.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Nutrition information does not include optional ingredients or garnish and is an estimate. It may change based on actual ingredients and cooking methods used.
©Our Zesty Life. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!